Visas for Maritime Crew

Crew working or planning to work on a commercial non-military ship coming to Australia, who do not have an Australian or New Zealand passport, need a Maritime Crew visa (subclass 988).

This visa allows crew to enter Australia by sea and perform work that meets the requirements of the ship while in Australia.

Crew flying to Australia to join a ship must apply for a Transit visa (subclass 771), an Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) or use the Visa Finder to find a visa that lets you enter Australia. The Maritime Crew visa does not let you enter Australia by air.