There are a few things you can do to protect yourself from email and internet scams:
- Check the website address carefully because even one different letter can mean that it is a different website. All Australian Government websites end in .gov.au
- Never give out your personal information unless you know who you are dealing with and you are sure you are using a secure website. Secure websites have a padlock in the browser window or a secure URL at the beginning of the website address.
- You should use our official website to apply for a visa because our website is safe and we can track your visa application as we process it.
- It is easy for illegal operators to copy a real website or make one that looks professional. When you are searching for a registered migration agent, check the Register of Migration Agents to make sure you have the right web address.
Here are some other things to look out for:
- emails sent from free web mail addresses such as Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo accounts
- emails asking you for your personal information or starting the email with ‘Dear Customer’ instead of your name
- emails from strangers who are advertising a website - do not click on any web links in these emails
- email offers of a job with a very high income.