What should I do if my sponsor for a family stream visa is a former illegal maritime arrival (IMA) on a permanent visa?

If you are sponsored by an IMA who holds a permanent visa (such as a subclass 866 Protection Visa), you should carefully consider whether you want to lodge your Family stream visa application. You need to be aware that your application will be given lowest processing priority and will not be processed further for several years. If you decide to lodge your family visa application but then change your mind, there will be no refund of the Visa Application Charge.

The lowest processing priority does not apply if your sponsor is an Australian citizen.

Frequently Asked Questions