Who can provide immigration assistance?

Only registered migration agents can give migration assistance. It is a criminal offence for an unregistered person to provide immigration assistance.

Immigration assistance is when a person uses their knowledge of migration procedures to:

  • help to prepare a visa application
  • advise a visa applicant about their visa application
  • help to prepare a document in relation to a visa application
  • prepare for proceedings or represent an applicant before a court or review authority.

The following activities are not regarded as immigration assistance:

  • clerical work to prepare or help prepare an application or other document
  • providing translation or interpretation services to help prepare an application or other document
  • advising a person that they must apply for a visa
  • passing on information produced by a third person, without giving substantial comment or explanation.