Who is an ‘exempt person’?

The following people are called an ‘exempt person’.

These people can provide immigration assistance for a visa, but only if they do not charge you a fee:

  • your spouse, parent, brother, sister, child or adopted child
  • your sponsor or nominator
  • parliamentarians (State or federal) and their staff
  • members of diplomatic missions, consular posts or international organisations.

If you are applying in Australia, officials whose duties include providing immigration assistance (for example, legal aid providers or departmental staff performing their duties) are also exempt people.