Individuals and Travellers

After you lodge your application

On this page

Interview requirements

If you are requested to attend an interview you must bring your passport and all outstanding documentation with you. Your application will be assessed at the interview, and where possible, a decision will be made.

Invitation to comment

If another person gives the department information that could result in you being refused a visa, the department will give you an opportunity to comment on the information. You will need to comment by a set date.

Change in circumstances

If you change residential address for longer than 14 days you must inform the department in writing or by telephoning the general enquiries line.
Form 929 Change of address and/or Passport Details (244KB PDF)
National Telephone Numbers

The department must be informed if:

  • you wish to add or to change the person authorised to act on your behalf in connection with your visa application
  • the composition of your family changes as a result of birth, death or change in relationship status married, divorced, entered a de facto relationship, separated
  • you or your family members intend to travel to or from Australia while your visa application is being processed
  • the circumstances of the applicant's sponsor or assurer change
  • your relationship with your partner ends.

See: Form 1022 Notification of Changes in Circumstances (152KB PDF)

Note: If you are applying for a Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) you must also inform the department if you and your fiancé(e) marry before a decision is made on your visa application, so that the department can change your application to that of a Partner visa.

If you marry your fiancé(e) after you have lodged your application for a Prospective Marriage visa, but before you are granted the visa, you can change your application to that of a Partner visa at no extra charge. To do this, you must:

  • immediately send written notification of your marriage to the department's office or Australian mission processing your application
  • provide a certified copy of the extract from the relevant marriage registry office
  • provide a written request that, due to your marriage, you wish to withdraw your application for this visa and that you wish to change your application to that of a Partner visa.

Visa decision

If the visa is approved, you will receive a letter from the relevant immigration office providing:

  • your Visa Grant Number
  • the validity date of the visa
  • the visa conditions
  • full details of what you must do next.

If the visa is not approved, you will receive a letter advising:

  • the reasons for the refusal decision
  • if eligible, your review rights
  • the time limit for lodging an appeal.


Return to previous page