Departing from Australia

Documents required for departing clearance

If you are departing, have the following ready for clearance at the border:

  • passport or other valid travel document
  • boarding pass

When departing, you may be able to use our SmartGate for a more seamless departure. For more information please visit SmartGate.

Items you must declare on departure

Prohibited and restricted items

It is illegal to carry illicit drugs including marijuana, cannabis, heroin, cocaine and amphetamines in and out of Australia.

Other items may be restricted. You may need a permit to carry these items in and out of Australia.

See our declaring restricted items table for a summary on what you can and can't carry and what you need to declare. There are penalties for not declaring illegal and restricted items and for making false declarations on your Incoming Passenger Card. Contact us or the consulate or embassy of the countries you're visiting. Check at Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade before you travel for more advice about importing or exporting illegal and restricted items.

What do I have to declare?

Firearms, weapons and ammunition

You must declare all firearms, weapons and ammunition including:

  • real and imitation firearms
  • air soft pistols (BB guns) that discharge a pellet by means of compressed gas, commonly purchased as "toy" guns
  • paintball markers
  • blowpipes
  • knives
  • nunchukas
  • slingshots
  • crossbows
  • electric shock devices
  • laser pointers
  • body armour
  • batons
  • pepper sprays
  • knuckle dusters
  • parts and accessories for use with firearms and weapons

Objectionable material, including illegal pornography

Objectionable material is controlled on import and export. This includes publications which show child pornography, bestiality, explicit sexual violence, crime or violence (including footage of beheadings), instruction in crime or violence, or advocates the doing of a terrorist act.

This also includes any such objectionable material contained on an electronic device, such as a hard drive, computer or mobile phone.


There is no limit to the amount of currency you can bring into or take out of Australia. However, you must declare amounts of AUD10,000 or more in Australian currency or foreign equivalent. You must also disclose any promissory notes, traveller’s cheques, personal cheques, money orders, postal orders or other bearer negotiable instruments, regardless of value, if requested by one of our officers or a police officer.


You need to declare medicines and substances which may be subject to misuse, abuse or dependence, for example, steroids, opioid analgesics, cannabis or narcotic based medications.

You can only take out of Australia the amount of medication you need. You should carry a medical and/or dental practitioner’s letter and complete the PBS Medicine Export Declaration available from Medicare Australia.

If you are taking medications you should contact the consulates or embassies of countries to be visited well before departure to confirm that the medicines and the quantities to be carried are permitted.

Protected wildlife

The export of Australian native animals and plants, or products made from them, is either prohibited or restricted.

The Department of the Environment has more information about wildlife trade including prohibitions and restrictions, and the requirements which must be met to obtain a permit.

Heritage-listed goods

You need to apply for a permit to import or export heritage-listed goods including:

  • works of art
  • stamps
  • coins
  • archaeological objects
  • minerals
  • specimens

The Ministry for the Arts has more information on requirements and permits for exporting cultural property from Australia.

Veterinary products

Declare all veterinary drugs and medicines. This includes products that contain substances prohibited without a permit.

Defence and strategic goods

Permits are required to import or export defence and strategic goods. See our Export controls for defence and strategic goods fact sheet for more information.


The export of firearms and ammunition requires a restricted goods permit obtained from the Department of Home Affairs before export.

Certain goods with dual military/civilian uses are also subject to restrictions.

Contact the Defence Export Control Office to see if a permit is required.

Carrying expensive items

If you are departing Australia with expensive items (such as computers, cameras and video cameras) and you intend to bring them back to Australia, register these items on the B263 — Goods exported in passenger baggage form (334KB PDF).

You cannot use this form if you intend claiming a refund under the Tourist Refund Scheme. The goods registered must be easily identifiable; serial numbers etc. must be included.

If possible, goods are to be carried in hand baggage and the officer who performs your immigration clearance at the outwards control point will check the goods and validate your form by signing and stamping it. If items are too large to be carried and must be included in your hold baggage, contact our closest office for advice on where the goods may be inspected.

Once registered, you do not need to declare these articles on your return to Australia but you should keep the registration form handy in case we have any questions.

For jewellery and other goods not readily identifiable, carrying proof of ownership in the form of receipts or insurance documents will help if you are questioned about the goods on return.

You may take any personal goods out of Australia without having to pay duty/tax on these goods when you return (other than items that you purchased duty/tax free in Australia before your trip and which are in excess of your duty-free concession).

Goods purchased duty or tax free in Australia must be taken with you and inspected at the departure point. You may also need to declare these on your return.

Other things you should know before you leave

  • The Can I bring it back? web app makes it quick and easy to find out which items you can and can’t bring back to Australia from holidays. You can access this app from your mobile if it has a web browser or download the PDF before you go overseas so you can check it while you’re shopping.
  • You should protect yourself from infectious diseases and see your doctor early about medications and vaccination, as some vaccinations need time to take effect.
  • There are severe penalties for Australian citizens or residents who engage in child prostitution activities overseas. For further information about the law, see the ECPAT website.
  • If you are receiving a payment through Centrelink, see their information on receiving payments while outside Australia.
  • If you are a temporary resident, you might have money in Australia you don't know about. If you earn more than AUD 450 in a calendar month while working in Australia, your employer is required by law to contribute to your retirement by paying money into a superannuation account. Find out more about the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment.
  • Bribing of foreign officials is a crime prosecutable under Australian law. The criminal penalties are significant, and include the possibility of imprisonment.
  • Australia issues electronic visas and electronically records all movements of passengers into and out of Australia. You can access your own International Movement Records over the counter at any Immigration Office or by completing the Form 1359 — Request for International Movement Records.

Passport Stamping

We no longer stamp Australian passports as a matter of course but should you require evidence of travel you may ask one of our officers to do so.