Returning residents

Returning resident visas

You may be eligible to apply for a returning resident visa if you are:

  • A current or former permanent resident of Australia, or
  • A former Australian citizen, or
  • A former member of the Australian Defence Services and you meet the definition of a 'defence service applicant' in the Migration Regulations 2007 

Visa options

The following visa options allow a returning resident to:

  • Live in Australia as a permanent resident, and
  • Travel to and from Australia for up to five years from the date the visa is granted

You can make an application for a returning resident visa either inside or outside Australia.

Applying either inside or outside Australia

Visa option 1

If you are:

  • An Australian permanent resident, or
  • A former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled, or
  • A former Australian citizen who lost or renounced your citizenship

And you want to:

  • Keep or regain your status as an Australian permanent resident

See > Resident Return Visa (Subclasses 155 and 157) 

Visa option 2

If you:

  • Spent most of your life in Australia as an Australian permanent resident before turning 18, never acquired Australian citizenship, and have not yet turned 45, or
  • Are a former member of the Australian Defence Services and meet the definition of a 'defence service applicant' in the Migration Regulations 2007

And you want the option to:

  • Include your partner and dependent family members in your application

See > Former Resident Visa (Subclass 151)

Documents for returning residents

This information explains the return document and evidence requirements for permanent residents and Australian citizens wanting to return to Australia.

See > Return Documents for Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents

Changes for returning residents

Recent announcements and changes for returning resident visas.

See > What's New 

Becoming an Australian citizen

If you are an Australian permanent resident, you may be eligible for Australian citizenship.

See > Applying for Citizenship

Children born to permanent residents

Children born in Australia automatically acquire Australian citizenship if at least one parent is an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of the child's birth.

See > More Information about Children born to a permanent resident of Australia

Visa support

Go to our visa support page for visa information, including:

  • Applying for a visa
  • Finding a migration agent
  • Online services
  • Fees and Charges

See > Visa Support