Individuals and Travellers

Status Resolution Service

If your visa is about to expire or has expired, you should go to the My visa is about to expire or has expired webpage. It is the fastest and easiest way to resolve your immigration matter.

If you are in Australia, you must hold a valid visa for the duration of your stay and comply with the conditions of your visa. You must depart Australia no later than on the day on which your visa expires.

If you are in a situation where your visa has expired while you are in Australia, you can still depart. If you stay in Australia after your visa has expired, you become an 'unlawful non-citizen'.

The Australian Border Force (ABF) conducts visa compliance activity in the community. If you are found to be in the community without a valid visa:

  • you risk being detained and removed from Australia
  • you might have to pay the Australian Government for the cost of removing you from Australia
  • you could be banned from returning to Australia for up to three years – this is called a re-entry ban.

If you don’t have the right to remain in Australia, you must depart.

Illegal maritime arrivals

If you are an illegal maritime arrival (IMA) and currently hold a Temporary Protection visa (TPV) or a Safe Haven Enterprise visa (SHEV), you must apply for a subsequent TPV or SHEV before your current TPV or SHEV expires.

If you submit an application while you still hold your TPV or SHEV, your visa and any associated benefits you are entitled to, will remain in effect until your application is decided.

If your TPV or SHEV expires, and you have not applied for your subsequent TPV or SHEV, you will become unlawful in Australia and you may not be able to apply for a subsequent visa. 

If you are an IMA and did not lodge a TPV/SHEV visa application before 1 October 2017, you are now barred from applying for any type of visa in Australia and must contact the Department to make arrangements to depart Australia.

If you do not make arrangements to depart, you risk detention and removal from Australia.

While you are making arrangements to depart, you will be granted a Bridging visa which gives you work rights, access to Medicare, and education for school-age children.  

You can ask for help to voluntarily depart Australia at any time.

How we can assist

If you cannot resolve your immigration matter through the My visa is about to expire or has expired webpage, then the Department's Status Resolution Service can help.

SRS officers can explain your visa options and tell you how decisions you make now can affect your options later on. They can also help you plan your departure from Australia, and refer you to other services where necessary.

You may also be eligible to receive assistance from the Status Resolution Support Services Program.

If you don’t have the right to remain in Australia, you must depart.

You can contact the Status Resolution Service by calling 1300 853 773. If you need interpreting assistance, call 131 450.