Working holidays overseas for Australians

​The Working Holiday Maker program encourages cultural exchange by allowing young adults (aged 18-30 years inclusive) from Australia and partner countries to have an extended holiday in each other's country, during which they can also engage in short term work or study. Please note: Australian's travelling to the Czech Republic will need to be between the ages of 18-26.

Australia has Working Holiday Maker arrangements with a number of countries and regions. These reciprocal arrangements provide young Australian citizens similar opportunities overseas to those available to Working Holiday Makers visiting Australia. These arrangements might have different names in other countries.

The program comprises 'Working Holiday' arrangements and 'Work and Holiday arrangements' which offer similar benefits. However, Work and Holiday arrangements have additional eligibility criteria.

The Australian Government is currently negotiating new Work and Holiday arrangements with a number of countries. Details of proposed arrangements are not disclosed until an agreement is reached. Information about new arrangements will be available on our website.

What do arrangements allow you to do?

Generally each country allows you to:

  • stay in the arrangement country for 12 months
  • work for a limited time to supplement your travel funds
  • study or train for a short period of time.


Australians who wish to participate in the Working Holiday Maker program, must:

  • hold an Australian passport
  • meet health and character requirements
  • be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive), or aged between 18-26 (inclusive) for the Czech Republic at the time of applying
  • have no accompanying dependent children
  • have a return ticket, or sufficient funds for a return or onward fare
  • have sufficient funds for the first part of the holiday.

Eligibility for Work and Holiday arrangements in the USA

If you want to travel to the USA under Work and Holiday arrangements, you must be sponsored by a registered sponsoring organisation. There is a list of sponsoring organisations on the US Department of State website.

You must also meet one of the following:

  • be enrolled as a post-secondary student
  • be enrolled as a post-secondary student and have deferred study
  • have graduated within the last 12 months from a post-secondary institution.

Eligibility for Work and Holiday arrangements in other countries

If you want to travel under Work and Holiday arrangements to Argentina, Chile, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay or Vietnam, there are additional eligibility requirements. These include, but are not limited to:

  • a letter from the Australian Government supporting the application (for certain countries only, see below)
  • tertiary education (individual countries have specific requirements)
  • functional Spanish if you are travelling to Spain or Peru
  • basic Spanish if travelling to Chile, Argentina or Uruguay
  • basic Portuguese if travelling to Portugal
  • basic Bahasa if travelling to Indonesia
  • a police check and medical certificate of good health if travelling to Malaysia.

AFP National Police Check
Work and Holiday Visa (High Commission of Malaysia)

Letter of Australian government support for Work and Holiday partner countries

You must obtain a letter of Australian government support in order to apply for a visa under Work and Holiday arrangements with Austria, Chile, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, Uruguay and Vietnam.

The Department of Home Affairs issues this letter for no charge. You can request this letter by emailing:  

Your email request must include:

  • your full name and date of birth
  • the name of the Work and Holiday country to which you wish to travel
  • your residential address
  • scanned colour copies of:
    • your valid Australian passport
    • one other form of identification with your current residential address
      Example: driver’s licence
    • evidence of your tertiary qualifications, a letter from your tertiary institution confirming the level of study, or academic transcripts.

You will receive a response by email in approximately 10 working days. Note that this letter does not guarantee approval.

Partner countries

As arrangements with partner countries have been negotiated individually, visa criteria and the application process vary for each country. For full information on the visa requirements and conditions of Working Holiday Maker program partner countries, you will need to contact that country's diplomatic mission in Australia.

Below is a list of countries and regions that have reciprocal Working Holiday Maker arrangements with Australia.

Countries with reciprocal Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) arrangements

CountryContact information
Belgium Embassy:
Canada High Commission:
Cyprus, Republic of High Commission:
Denmark Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
Estonia Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
Finland Embassy:
France Embassy:
Germany Embassy:
Hong Kong Special
Administrative Region
of the People's Republic of China
Embassy :
Ireland, Republic of Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
Italy Embassy:
Japan Embassy:
Korea, Republic of Embassy:
Malta High Commission:
Netherlands Embassy:
Norway Embassy:
Sweden Embassy:
Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office:
United Kingdom High Commission:

Countries with reciprocal Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) arrangements

CountryContact information
Argentina Embassy:


Chile Embassy:
​Czech Republic Embassy:
Hungary Embassy:
Israel Embassy:
Indonesia, Republic of Embassy:
Luxembourg Embassy:
Malaysia High Commission:


Poland Embassy:
Portugal Embassy:
San Marino Consulate:
Singapore High Commission:
Slovak Republic Embassy:
Slovenia Embassy:
Spain Embassy:
Thailand Consulate:
Turkey Embassy:
United States of America Embassy:
Uruguay Consulates:
Vietnam Embassy:

A list of foreign embassies and high commissions in Australia is also available on the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website.