Individuals and Travellers

Evidence of status in Australia

This page provides information about how to obtain evidence of your status in Australia.

The Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system is a free service that allows visa holders with a valid passport or ImmiCard to check visa status information anywhere, any time.

I am an Australian citizen

You cannot use VEVO if you are an Australian citizen. If you need to obtain evidence of your Australian citizenship, refer to the Evidence of Australian citizenship page.

I am a visa holder who last entered Australia after 1990

If you have entered Australia since 1990 you will be able to access VEVO using the details from the passport you held on arrival. If you have renewed your passport since then you will need to provide us with the details before you can use VEVO. See the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system page for further information.

I arrived in Australia before 1990 and have not travelled overseas since

To access VEVO you need a passport or an ImmiCard linked to your electronic visa record. If you are a foreign national who arrived in Australia prior to 1990 and you have not travelled outside Australia since, you are unlikely to have an electronic record.

You can ask us to create an electronic record of your visa. You must hold a valid passport to apply, and you will need to provide other identity documents including evidence of your first arrival in Australia. In exceptional cases, if you do not have and cannot obtain a passport, you may be eligible for an ImmiCard.

You will be able to access VEVO once your visa has been recorded in our systems and your passport or ImmiCard is linked to the visa.

Refer to the Request an electronic visa record page. Alternatively, you may consider applying to become an Australian citizen.  

I am a visa holder and need to know when I arrived in Australia

If you need to obtain information about your arrival date in Australia, you can apply to access the travel information in your Movement Records

I was a temporary resident and need proof my visa has ceased to claim my superannuation

You might need to obtain a Certification of Immigration Status for the purposes of making a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP) claim with the Australian Tax Office (ATO). For further information see: Accessing superannuation benefits for temporary residents.