Individuals and Travellers

Request to correct or amend the personal information on my ImmiCard, Document for Travel to Australia (DFTTA) or PL056

Under Australian Privacy Principle (APP) 13 of the Privacy Act 1988, we are required to take reasonable steps to make sure our records are accurate, up-to-date and complete.

Your immigration record (and your ImmiCard if you have one) has the personal details (such as your surname, given name and date of birth), that you told us were correct when your visa was granted.

If you believe the details on our records are incorrect and you have evidence to support this, you can ask us to correct your record.

Freedom of Information

What documents will I need to provide in my application?

You are required to provide a number of documents with your application to prove who you are and why you believe our records are incorrect:

  • your ImmiCard, DFTTA or PLO56
  • most recent photo identification, such as an expired passport, Australian driver’s licence or proof of age card, ImmiCard or National ID card (If you do not have any Australian issued photographic identity documents – a passport quality photograph of your head and shoulders (maximum 6 months old))
  • current documents showing your identity, such as a Medicare card, concession card, or bank / credit card
  • documentary evidence that shows why you believe your immigration record is incorrect
  • if you have changed your name through a Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, a copy of the change of Name or Marriage Certificate.

How do I submit my documents?

You must attach high-resolution (600 dots per inch (dpi)) colour scans of your original documents to your online application. We do not require certified copies.

We will not accept the following:

  • black and white copies
  • photographs of documents. Documents must be scanned
  • scanned photocopies. You must scan the original document
  • Selfies. If we ask you to provide a photograph of yourself, you must provide a passport quality photograph of your face and shoulders.

If any of your original documents are in a language other than English, you will need to provide a copy of that document together with a version translated into English by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).

You will be able to attach multiple documents to your application. Each document must be a maximum of 1MB in size, and the maximum size of all attachments is 10MB.

If we agree to correct your record

If we correct or amend your record and you hold a Department issued identity document such as an ImmiCard or a Document for Travel to Australia (DFTTA), the information on your immigration record will no longer match your document.

If you have an ImmiCard we will cancel it because the details will be out-of-date and the card will not work with the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system or the Document Verification Service. We will tell you how to return your ImmiCard to us so that we can issue a new card with the corrected details.

The DFTTA and PLO56 are no longer issued. If you hold a DFTTA or PLO56 and we correct or amend your record, we will tell you how to apply for an ImmiCard, which will show the correct details on it.

If we have corrected your details and we issue you with a new ImmiCard, your previous details will be printed on the reverse. This provides a link to your old identity and will make it easier for you to prove that your details have officially changed.

If we refuse to correct your record

If we are not satisfied with the evidence you provide we may decide not to correct your principal identity record. If this happens we will notify you of our decision and will provide you with information about how you can have the decision reviewed.

I have changed my name through a Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages

The law does not give us any power to create a new name for you. If you want to change your name (as opposed to asking us to correct your record), you need to apply to your local Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. Your ImmiCard can be used as evidence of your identity to do this.

If you do change your preferred name through a Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, you can request that we amend the details on your ImmiCard to reflect this. You will need to provide us with a copy of the official Change of Name Certificate with your application.

What if I am under 18 and want to correct my personal details?

A parent or guardian will need to apply on behalf of children under the age of 18. If you are the child's parent or guardian, you will need to provide proof of your identity as well as proof of your relationship to the child. For example, you​ can attach a scan of your child's birth certificate, a Medicare card or other documentation authorising your guardianship or custodianship.

If you do not have such documents, you will need to complete Form 1499 — Declaration of parentage (148KB PDF) and attach this to your application.

How do I obtain a new ImmiCard, and is there a cost?

There is no fee for a new ImmiCard if you already have a card and we agree to correct your personal details.

If you are a DFTTA or PLO56 holder and we correct your personal details, you will be invited to apply for an ImmiCard which will show the corrected details. However a fee will be required to issue an ImmiCard.

A fee applies if we amend your personal details and issue a new ImmiCard because you have changed your name through a Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

We will provide all the information you need about how to apply for an ImmiCard and what, if any, fee applies when we notify you about our decision to correct your personal details.

For further information see Fees and Charges.

I have all the documents I need and I am ready to apply

Have you:

  • read all of the information on this page?
  • obtained all required documents?

If so, proceed to complete the online ImmiCard amendment request form.