Individuals and Travellers

Request for electronic visa record

Many organisations in Australia require visa holders to provide information about their visa, for example when applying for a job, or where seeking to obtain certain government services.

A passport issued by a visa holder’s country of citizenship is the principal identity document for foreign nationals in Australia.

Any holder of an Australian visa who has a valid passport linked to their electronic visa record can access the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system. VEVO is a free service that allows visa holders and Australian organisations to check visa status information anywhere, any time.

If you are a foreign national who arrived in Australia before 1990 and have not travelled outside Australia since, you are unlikely to have an electronic record.

This page explains how to apply to the Department to create an electronic visa record. You will need to submit a valid passport, which must be current or expired by less than 3 years.

There are circumstances in which you might not be able to obtain a passport. If we decide that your case is exceptional, we may consider issuing you with an ImmiCard so that you can access VEVO.

The information below explains whether you are eligible for an ImmiCard and how to apply for one.

For further information see ImmiCard.

I last entered Australia after 1990

If you last entered Australia after 1990 you will already have an electronic visa record. You will be able to access VEVO using the details from the passport you last used to enter Australia. If you have renewed your passport since then you will need to inform us of the new details before you can use VEVO.

For further information see VEVO.

I intend to travel overseas soon

Permanent residents are entitled to remain in Australia indefinitely. However, the travel facility attached to a permanent visa expires after five years. If you were granted a permanent visa more than five years ago and you intend to travel overseas, you may need a Resident Return visa (RRV).

If you apply for a Resident Return visa you do not need to apply to create an electronic record, as this will be considered as part of the RRV application process.

Am I exempt from providing a valid passport with my application?

You will be required to submit a copy of your current passport, or one that has been expired for less than 3 years, with your application.

You may be exempt from providing a valid passport if you do not already hold one, and you last entered Australia before 1990, and either:

  • you are in receipt of Centrelink benefits and Centrelink have asked you to provide them with evidence of your Commencement of Identity, visa or residency status
  • you, or one of your family members, are applying for a passport from your country of citizenship and you have been asked to prove that you are not an Australian citizen.

I need evidence of my status in Australia to apply for a foreign passport

The passport issuing authorities of a small number of countries require their citizens to provide evidence of their citizenship status in Australia when they, or a family member, apply for a new passport. If you apply for an electronic visa record for this purpose, we will ask for your permission to send the information directly to the relevant foreign passport issuing authority.

If you obtain a new passport you should inform us of the new details as soon as possible. Once we link your new passport to your electronic visa record, you will be able to use VEVO.

Before you apply

If you do not hold a valid passport you will need to obtain one before submitting your application.

You may need to apply for other documents before you submit your application. This can take time, especially if you need to obtain documents from overseas, so we recommend you obtain your documents as early as possible.

If you need to pay a fee, payment must be made before you start your application as you will be asked to provide your payment receipt number.

What documents do I need to provide with my application?

You need to provide a range of identity and arrival documents with your application.

You are required to provide:

  • A current passport, or a passport which has been expired for less than three years
    • If you do not hold a valid passport and are exempt from the requirement to obtain one, you must provide a birth certificate
  • A current Australian issued photo ID, such as a driver’s licence or proof of age card
    • If you do not hold any Australian photo ID, you must provide a passport quality photograph of your head and shoulders (maximum 6 months old)
  • Current documents showing your identity, such as a Medicare card, concession card or bank/credit card
  • At least three documents that show you have resided in Australia continuously since your first arrival. You need to include a range of evidence covering the entire time you have been in Australia, not just recent documents. Examples include:
    • school records
    • employment records
    • financial, mortgage, lease or utility records
    • taxation records
    • old drivers licence, Medicare card, Centrelink card, student card
    • marriage certificate
  • At least one of the following:
    • The passport or travel document used when you first entered Australia, including the pages showing your photograph, name and date of birth and all pages showing stamps or labels
    • Your incoming passenger arrival card showing your full name and arrival date stamp*

*If you do not hold either of the above evidence you will need to provide the ship or aircraft arrival manifest showing your arrival, available from the National Archives of Australia. More information about helping you access records of interest is available at the National Archives of Australia website.

Note: If you have changed your name, you will need to provide official evidence to show this, such as a marriage certificate or change of name certificate.

How do I submit my documents?

You must attach high-resolution (600 dots per inch (dpi)) colour scans of your original documents to your online application. We do not require certified copies.

We will not accept the following:

  • black and white copies
  • photographs of documents. Documents must be scanned
  • scanned photocopies. You must scan the original document
  • selfies. If we ask you to provide a photograph of yourself, you must submit a passport quality photograph of your face and shoulders.

If any of your original documents are in a language other than English, you will need to provide a copy of that document together with a version translated into English by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).

You can attach multiple documents to the application form but the maximum size for all attachments is 10MB.

How much will it cost?

There is no fee to create an electronic visa record. If you have your valid passport and other required documents, you can proceed to apply.

If you are eligible and apply for an ImmiCard you will need to pay a fee and provide your payment receipt number with your application. Fees are charged to issue an ImmiCard; if for any reason we do not issue you with an ImmiCard you will be able to request a refund.

For current ImmiCard fees, refer to the fee schedule under ‘ImmiCards and verification of status’ on our Fees and Charges page.

Payment must be made before you start your application, via ImmiAccount, using your credit card or debit Visa/MasterCard.

How to make a payment through ImmiAccount

  1. Navigate to ImmiAccount and either login to your existing account, or create a new account.
  2. From the ‘My payments’ menu, select ‘Manage Payments’
  3. Select ‘Pre-pay Paper Service’
  4. Select ‘Pay APEC Business Travel Card or ImmiCard application’
  5. In the next screen complete the required fields, and use the following information where indicated:
    • Processing Office - select ‘National Office’
    • Reference - enter “ImmiCard”
  6. Follow the instructions on screen to complete the payment
  7. Remember to enter your receipt number into the online application form.

How long will my application take to process?

We recommend you submit your application as soon as you have all of the documents you need.

We aim to finalise requests for an electronic visa record that include a copy of a valid passport and all required documents within two weeks of receipt.

An application for an ImmiCard will take longer. After your application is finalised you will be required to attend an appointment at one of our offices to provide your biometrics (photo and fingerprints). Once biometrics have been collected the ImmiCard may take up to two weeks to be delivered to your residential address.

Privacy Statement - please read before you apply for an ImmiCard

We have authority under the Migration Act 1958 and the Australian Citizenship Act 2007, and other legislation, to collect your personal information.

An application for an ImmiCard may require you to provide personal identifiers if the department does not hold a current facial image in our systems. By completing a request, you are consenting to your personal information being used for the purpose of issuing an ImmiCard. We can also share this information with other government agencies and financial institutions to confirm your identity or verify documents that we have issued.

For more information on the use and disclosure of your information, see Form 1442i - Privacy Notice and Form 1243i - Your personal identifying information. These forms outline why personal identifiers can be collected, how they may be collected, how they may be used, how they are protected and how they may be disclosed.

If we approve an ImmiCard and require you to provide your biometrics before we can issue the card, we will invite you to attend an appointment at one of our offices.

I have all the documents I need and I am ready to apply

Have you:

  • Read all of the information on this page?
  • Obtained all required documents including a passport?
  • If applying for an ImmiCard, made a payment?

If you are eligible for an ImmiCard you may also need to attend an appointment to provide your biometrics (photo and fingerprints) before an ImmiCard can be issued.

Proceed to complete the online application form.