Individuals and Travellers

Studying in Australia

​Information for students who are considering studying in Australia.

Happy couple of young students

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

There are various visas that you can apply for depending on your plans in Australia.

Student visa (subclass 500)

If you intend to study in Australia, you will need to apply for the Student visa (subclass 500).

There is specific information for Foreign Affairs and Defence sponsored students and school sector students.

Find out how to apply for family members to join you.

There is more information for students including genuine temporary entrant requirements, health insurance, English language requirements, financial capacity requirements and changing courses.

You might be able to package your courses if you would like to study more than one course.

For information about your rights and responsibilities while studying in Australia read the factsheet available at the Department of Education and Training (DET) website.

Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)

If you plan to come to Australia to provide care to a student under 18 years, you can apply for the Student Guardian visa (subclass 590).

Training visa (subclass 407)

For training opportunities which allow you to take part in structured workplace-based training, you may be eligible for the Training visa (subclass 407).

Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)

If you have finished your studies and wish to work in Australia temporarily, you may be eligible for the post-study work visa, the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485).

Visiting and studying

If you would like to come to Australia for a visit and short-term study, you may be eligible for a visitor visa. To learn more about this option, see our information on Visiting Australia.

Post study work arrangements

If you have finished your studies and wish to work in Australia temporarily, please see Post-study work arrangements or our Working visas.

Other information

As a student, it is important to check what you can bring into Australia before you enter. Please ensure you visit our Can I bring it back guide before you decide to bring anything to Australia.

If you are an education provider and wish to know more, see information for education providers​.