Foreign Affairs and Defence sponsored students

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

If you are sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) or Department of Defence to undertake a full-time course of study or training in Australia you will need to apply for a Student visa (subclass 500).

Prior to 1 July 2016, DFAT and Defence sponsored students applied for the Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector visa (subclass 576). Family members of students who hold a subclass 576 visa holders who would like to join the student in Australia will need to apply for a Student visa (subclass 500 visa).

Information that are you are sponsored by DFAT or Defence will be available in Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) and in your student visa grant letter.

Lodging your visa application

All student visa applications must generally be lodged online using ImmiAccount

Visa application charge

You do not have to pay a visa application charge. Please attach your Letter of Support from DFAT or Defence to your visa application.

Visa requirements

Your letter of support from DFAT or Defence will include details of your intended course of study. This will also satisfy us that you meet the required English language ability and financial capacity requirement and that you have adequate health insurance.

Financial capacity requirements

You will need to provide a Letter of Support from DFAT or Defence which contains information that you have sufficient funds to cover travel, tuition and living costs.

From 1 July 2016, the 12 month living cost will be:

  • student $19,830
  • partner/spouse  $6,940
  • child $2,970

Welfare arrangements for students aged under 18

If you are under the age of 18, DFAT or Defence will generally make arrangements for your welfare while you are under 18. A letter from DFAT or Defence must be provided with your student visa application stating that arrangements have been made for your welfare.

Other requirements

You will be assessed against these requirements:

Visa conditions

The 'No Further Stay' (condition 8535) applies to all student visas granted to DFAT or Defence sponsored students. This means you will not be able to apply for another substantive visa in Australia without a 'letter of no objection' from DFAT or Defence, except in limited circumstances.

The 'No Further Stay' (condition 8534) might also be applied to your family members.

You might have other student visa conditions attached to your visa that you must abide by.