Bridging visa E – BVE (subclass 050-051)


This visa lets you stay in Australia lawfully while you make arrangements to leave, finalise your immigration matter or are waiting for an immigration decision.​


Length of stay


From AUD  

Global processing times

Global processing times are unavailable for this visa.

Learn about...​


Who could get this visa

    You might be granted a BVE (subclass 050) if one of the following applies:
  • You are an unlawful non-citizen, the holder of a BVE (subclass 050) or the holder of a BVD (subclass 041) and;
    • you are making arrangements to depart Australia
    • you are applying for a substantive visa
    • you are seeking merits or judicial review of a visa decision or citizenship decision
    • you are seeking ministerial intervention.
    You might be granted a BVE (subclass 051) if you meet all of the following:
  • You were refused immigration clearance or bypassed immigration clearance and came to our notice within 45 days and;
    • you are in immigration detention
    • you have applied for a protection visa
    • you meet other specific requirements relating to age, health or nomination, or you meet the requirements for a further BVE (subclass 051).

The visa

About this visa

A Bridging visa E (BVE) is a temporary visa that allows you to stay in Australia while you finalise your immigration matter or make arrangements to leave Australia.

    There are two types of BVEs:
  • Bridging (General) visa (subclass 050) - generally if you are currently unlawful, the holder of a BVE 050 or the holder of a BVD 041.
  • Bridging (Protection Visa Applicant) visa (subclass 051) - used in limited circumstances for eligible non-citizens (as specified by the Regulations) who are not prevented from making a bridging visa application under the Migration Act or Regulations.

What you can do

You need a bridging visa to stay in Australia if your substantive visa ends and you are waiting for an immigration decision or if you are making arrangements to leave Australia. It does not allow you to re-enter Australia if you leave.

A BVE allows you to stay in Australia lawfully for a short time. It will end immediately if you leave Australia. If you leave Australia, you will not be able to return unless have another substantive visa.

Working in Australia while you hold a BVE

Why you need a bridging visa

    If you are in Australia without a visa, you are an unlawful non-citizen. This can cause problems for you, such as:
  • you risk being detained and removed from Australia
  • you might not be granted another visa for three years after you leave Australia
  • you might have a debt to the Australian Government for the cost of your removal.


There is no application charge for a BVE.


In most cases, you can include your family members on the same application form. They must also meet the eligibility requirements. The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you.


You and anyone included in your application must be in Australia when the application is lodged and the visa is decided.

How long your visa lasts

A BVE is a temporary visa. It allows you to stay in Australia until a specified date, or for a particular time period, or until a specified event happens.

    Your BVE will end if:
  • you leave Australia
  • you are granted a subsantive visa
  • your BVE is cancelled.

Your obligations

You must comply with all Australian laws and your visa conditions.

Your BVE will have conditions that you must comply with. If you do not so comply, your BVE might be cancelled.

Follow these steps

  1. Before you apply

    Check if you already hold a BVE

    In some cases, if you lodged a valid application for a substantive visa in Australia, you will also have applied for a BVE. We will tell you if this happens. In this case, you do not need to lodge a separate application.

  2. Apply

    Apply for the visa

    You can apply online through ImmiAccount.

      If you need to apply for a BVE (subclass 050), or if you hold a Bridging visa D (BVD) (subclass 041), complete the following form:
    • Form 1008 - Application for a bridging visa E - subclass 050 (315KB PDF).
      If you are replacing an expired bridging visa, or changing bridging visa conditions, or need to apply for a BVE (subclass 051), complete:
    • Form 1005 - Application for a bridging visa (345KB PDF).

    To make a valid BVE application by email, the BVE application must be lodged though one of the nominated departmental email addresses relevant to your location, listed.

    You can also submit your application in person or post to one of our Visa and Citizenship Offices around Australia.

    You should choose an office that is closest to you as you could be required to attend an interview as part of the application process.

    More information

    Refer to preparing your application, for information on:

    • certifying and translating documents into English
    • communicating with us
    • using a migration agent
    • authorising another person to receive information from us
    • receiving assistance with your application.
  3. After you apply

    Visa decision

    We will tell you when we make a decision about your visa application.

    If the visa is granted, you will receive a letter or email with the visa grant number and any visa conditions. You will not have a visa label placed in your passport.

      If the visa is not granted, we will send you a letter or email telling you:
    • why the visa was refused
    • your review rights (if any)
    • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

    Provide more information

      You can provide more information to us, at any time until a decision is made on the application. If you want to correct information you provided, use:
    • Form 1023 - Notification of incorrect answer(s) (99KB PDF)

    We could also ask you for more information. You must respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have.

    If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

    You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

    Tell us of changes

    You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

    More information is available in the Tell us of changes tab.

Tell us of changes

Changes to your circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth or death in your family.

    Please report changes in your circumstances through ImmiAccount . If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:
  • Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details (86KB PDF) — if you move to a new address or change your passport
  • Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances (77KB PDF) — if there are other changes in your circumstances.

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.

Withdrawing your visa application

You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include your file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number.

All applicants 18 years of age or older, wishing to withdraw, must sign the request for withdrawal.