Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclasses 119 and 857)

​This visa is closed to new applications​


This visa is available to you if you are one of the following:
  • skilled worker from overse​​as
  • skilled temporary resident currently in Australia. ​


This visa allows you and any dependent family members included in your visa application to work in regional, remote or low population growth areas of Australia. You can:

  • live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
  • study in Australia at school or university.

About this visa

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclasses 119 and 857) closed to new applications on 1 July 2012.

If you have applied for this visa but no visa decision has yet been made, you can add dependent children to your application at any time until your visa is decided.

If you already hold a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclasses 119 and 857), your family members can apply separately for a visa. They can be in or outside Australia when they apply.

This visa allows you and your family to live and work in Australia on a permanent basis.

Adding family to your application

You can add the following people to your visa application if you tell us in writing and we have not yet made a decision about your application:

  • your partner
  • your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child.

For detailed information regarding who you can include in your application see  including family members in your application.

They must also be nominated by your employer.

Members of your family unit must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements.


The visa application charges are listed in Fees and charges.

Other costs

You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Visa holders

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

This information is for people who have already been granted a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa. It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

How long your visa lasts

This is a permanent residence visa.

What this visa lets you do

This visa allows you and any family members who have been granted this visa to:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • take out private health insurance
  • access certain social security payments
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time you will need a resident return visa).

Your obligations

Your visa might be cancelled if either:

  • you did not start your employment with the relevant employer within six months of arriving in Australia and you do not satisfy the Minister that you made a genuine effort to start that employment within the six months.
  • you started the employment, but it was terminated within two years of you starting, and you do not satisfy the Minister that you made a genuine effort to be engaged in that employment for the required period.

Employer obligations

The employer must make sure that all relevant workplace laws and award conditions are met.

Report changes in circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change.  This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount.  If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.