Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclasses 121 and 856)

​This visa is closed to new applications.​


​​​This visa is available to you if you are one of the following:

  • skilled worker from overseas
  • skilled temporary resident currently in Australia.


This visa allows you and any dependent family members included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia. You can:

  • live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
  • study in Australia at school or university.

About this visa

The Employer Nomination visa (subclasses 121 and 856) closed to new applications on 1 July 2012. You can add your partner or a dependent child to your application if it has not yet been decided.

The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) allowed Australian employers to sponsor employees who are foreign nationals for a permanent visa to work in Australia. The Employer Nomination visa (subclasses 121 and 856) visa is for applicants who were in Australia and lodged a visa application on or before 30 June 2012.

This visa allows you and your family to live and work in Australia on a permanent basis.


The visa application charges are listed in Fees and charges.

Other costs

You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Visa holders

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

This information is for people who have been granted an Employer Nomination visa (subclass 121). It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

What this visa lets you do

This is a permanent visa. It allows you and your family to:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • take out private health insurance
  • access certain social security payments
  • be able to get Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible members of your family unit for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Employer obligations

The employer must comply with all relevant Australian standards and workplace legislation for wages and working conditions.

Report changes in circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change.  This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount.  If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.
​ ​