Distinguished Talent visa (subclass 124)


This visa is for people with a distinguished talent.

It lets you live permanently in Australia.


You must have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in either:

  • a profession
  • a sport
  • the arts
  • academia and research.

Length of stay



From AUD 3,810

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

Learn about

The process

Processing time

75 per cent of applications processed90 per cent of applications processed
Unavailable due to low volume of applications. Unavailable due to low volume of applications.

Last updated 17 October 2018 (for month ending 30 September 2018)

Processing times vary.

For more information read Global visa and citizenship processing times


English language ability

You should have at least functional English.

Applicants and dependants (18 years and older) who cannot provide evidence of having at least functional English must pay a second instalment of the visa application charge.

How can I prove I have functional English? explains how you can demonstrate your language ability.


You must meet certain health requirements. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.

This applies to all members of your family unit included in your application, whether they are migrating or not.

You are able to organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application.


You must meet certain character requirement. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

This also applies to all members of the family unit included your application who are 16 years of age or older, whether they are migrating or not.

Debts to the Australian government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

This also applies to all members of the family unit listed in your application whether they are migrating or not.

Provide biometrics

You might be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.

The visa

About this visa

    The Distinguished Talent visa (subclass 124) lets you live permanently in Australia if you have an internationally recognised record of exceptional and outstanding achievement in:
  • a profession
  • a sport
  • the arts
  • academia and research.

What this visa lets you do

    It lets you and any member of your family unit who has also been granted this visa:
  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Workplace rights

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia


From AUD3810

Second instalment of the visa application charge

You must pay a second instalment of the visa application charge for each applicant who:

  • is aged 18 years or older at the time of application
  • does not have functional English.

We will tell you when to pay the second instalment. You must pay it for us to grant this visa.

How can I prove I have functional English explains how you can demonstrate your language ability.

Other costs

You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Estimate the cost of your application

Use the Visa pricing estimator to estimate the cost of your application.

Visa pricing estimator

Note: The estimator does not calculate the second instalment or additional costs.


You must be outside Australia when this visa is granted.

How long the visas lasts

This is a permanent residence visa

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

It is also expected that you will contribute to Australia in your field of expertise.


Who can nominate

To nominate someone for this visa you must:

  • have a national reputation in Australia in the same field as the person appplying for this visa
    • be one of the following:
    • an Australian citizen
    • an Australian permanent resident
    • an eligible New Zealand citizen
    • an Australian peak body or organisation.

    If you are an eligible New Zealand citizen, you must have met health and character checks at the time of your last entry to Australia.

How to nominate

To nominate you must complete Form 1000 - Nomination for Distinguished Talent (175KB PDF).

The visa applicant must include this form, along with your supporting documents when they lodge their application.

Documents you need to attach to Form 1000

  • A personal, comprehensive statement of the visa applicant's achievements in their field of expertise.
  • Details of both your and the visa applicants achievements in your common field of expertise.
  • Relevant supporting document about the visa applicant, such as newspaper or magazine articles, supporting comments from qualified people
  • Details of employment arrangements or other assistance used to help establish the visa applicant.

You need to provide documents to support your application to nominate someone for this visa. We could ask you for more information, but we can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge the application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.

You must provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

Follow these steps

  1. Before you apply

    Your passport

    You need a valid passport or other travel document for this visa. If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa.

    If you get a new passport after you have lodged your application, give the details of your new passport to one of our offices.

  2. Gather documents


    Including family in your application

    You can include the following people in your visa application at the time of lodgement:

    • your partner
    • your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child.

    If you are under 18 years old, you can also include:

    • a parent and
    • a member of the family unit of that parent.

    After you have applied for this visa but before a decision is made, members of the family unit can be added to your application.

    For detailed information regarding who you can include in your application see including family members in your application.

    The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you.​​

    Members of your family unit must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements.

    Prepare your documents

    You need to provide documents to prove the claims you make in the application. The documents are listed in the Document checklist.

    Some documents could take some time to obtain. You should have them ready when you lodge the application to reduce any delays in processing.

      Refer to preparing your application, for information on:
    • certifying and translating documents into English
    • communicating with us
    • using a migration agent
    • authorising another person to receive information from us
    • receiving assistance with your application.
  3. Apply

    Apply for the visa by post

    You and anyone included in your application must be outside Australia when the visa is granted.

    Before you start your application, learn:

    Lodge your application by post or courier

    You must complete Form 47SV - Application for special migration to Australia (863 KB PDF)

    Your nominator must complete Form 1000 - Nomination for Distinguished Talent (175 KB PDF)

    For each of your dependent relatives, whether they are migrating or not, you must complete Form 47A - Details of Child or Other Dependent Family Member Aged 18 Years or Over (248 KB PDF)

    You need to provide all relevant documents and pay the visa application charge when you apply.

    Lodge your application at our Adelaide office in South Australia.

    Person or organisation who wants to nominate

    The visa applicant must include a completed Nomination Form and other Nomination supporting documents when they lodge their application.

    How to nomiate

  4. After you apply

    After you have lodged your application and documents, we will acknowledge that we have received your information.

    Wait for a decision

    Your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete.

    If you apply for this visa from outside Australia, do not make arrangements to travel to Australia until you are advised in writing that you have been granted a visa. Wait for a decision from us before you leave your job, sell your home or book your travel.

    Visa decision

      If the visa is granted, we will let you know:
    • when you can use the visa
    • the visa grant number
    • any conditions attached to the visa.

    If the visa is refused, we will send you a letter or email stating why it was refused.

Tell us of changes

Provide more information

You can provide more information to us, at any time until a decision is made on the application. If you want to correct information you provided, use:

  • Form 1023 - Notification of incorrect answer(s) (99KB PDF)

We could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have.

If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

Changes to your circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount. If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

  • Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details (86KB PDF) — if you move to a new address or change your passport
  • Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances (77KB PDF) — if there are other changes in your circumstances.

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.

Withdrawing your application

You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include your file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number.

All applicants 18 years of age or older, wishing to withdraw, must sign the request for withdrawal.​​​​​​

Estimate the cost of your visa

* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator might not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.