Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)


​​This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily.

If you are granted this visa and want to stay in Australia permanently, you can then apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).

Applying for this temporary subclass 173 visa before the permanent subclass 143 visa lets you spread the costs of your migration over a number of years.


​You must have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

At least half of your children must live in Australia or more of your children live in Australia than any other country.

Length of stay

2 years


From AUD  

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

From 1 July 2018, parent visa applications must be sent to the Perth Visa and Citizenship office by post or courier. You can no longer lodge a visa application in person.

For more information see Changes to lodgement methods for Family Stream visa applications.

Learn about...​

The process

Processing time

75 per cent of applications processed90 per cent of applications processed
43 months 48 months

Last updated 17 October 2018 (for month ending 30 September 2018)

Processing times vary.

For more information read Global visa and citizenship processing times


Your child in Australia

Your child must be a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.


    You must be sponsored. Usually, this will be your child who must be:
  • 18 years old or older
  • a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.

If your child is under 18.

A sponsor can sponsor more than one parent for this visa.

Sponsors have financial and other responsibilities.

Balance-of-family test

You must meet the balance-of-family test. This means that:

  • at least half of your children live permanently in Australia
  • or

  • more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any one other country.


You must meet our health requirement.


You must meet our character requirement.


You must have repaid, or have arranged to repay, any outstanding debts to the Australian government.

Cancelled visas

You might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia.

The visa

What you can do

This visa lets you:

  • live in Australia for up to two years
  • work and study in Australia (you will not receive government support)
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • travel to and from Australia as many times as you want for two years from the date the visa is granted.
  • apply for a permanent Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).

You cannot extend or re-apply for this visa.


This visa is paid in two parts, called instalments:

You might also have to pay other costs such as those for health assessments, police certificates and biometrics.

Use the Visa pricing estimator to estimate the cost of your application.

Visa pricing estimator

Note: The estimator does not calculate the second instalment or other costs.


You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for this visa.

You must be outside Australia when the visa is decided.

How long the visas lasts

The visa lasts two years.

The visa starts on the date you enter Australia on the visa.

Extending your stay

You cannot extend or re-apply for this visa.

If you want to stay in Australia permanently, you can apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143) before your subclass 173 visa expires.


You can include your partner and your or your partner’s child or step-child in your application.

Family members who are granted this visa have the same rights and obligations as you and can do the same things as you.

Your obligations

You and your family members must comply with Australian laws and your visa conditions. You can find your visa conditions in VEVO.

Follow these steps

  1. Before you apply

    Make sure you have a passport

    To apply, your passport does not have to be valid but it must be your most recent passport.

    However, to be granted the visa, your passport must be valid.

  2. Gather documents

    Prepare your documents

    • Translate all non-English documents into English.
      Translators in Australia must be accredited. Contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.
      It is preferable that translators outside Australia are accredited in their country. If they are not accredited, they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.
    • Provide original police certificates
    • Provide certified copies of all other documents (including non-English documents and English translations) - do not send the originals.
    • Make sure you have all of your sponsor’s documents and their completed sponsorship form.
    • Provide a document only once, even if you are using it as evidence of more than one criterion.
    • Keep a copy of your completed application.
  3. Apply

    Apply for the visa on a paper form

    You can be in or outside Australia when you apply for the visa. You must have a passport.

    You complete:

    • Form 47PA - Application for a parent to migrate to Australia (525 kB PDF)

    Your sponsor completes:

    • Form 40 - Sponsorship for migration to Australia (251 kB PDF).

    Forms must be completed in English.

    All documents must be provided and the application fee paid when you apply.

    You can pay using the online portal payment function via ImmiAccount.

    Send your application by post or courier to the Perth office in Western Australia - attention Parent Visa Centre.

    If you have an existing Parent visa application

    If you have applied for a different parent visa but it has not yet been decided, you must withdraw that application at the same time that you apply for this visa.

    Complete Part B of Form 47PA - Application for a parent to migrate to Australia (525 kB PDF).

  4. After you apply

    Current Australian visa expires

    If your current temporary visa is about to expire, you will not be eligible for a bridging visa to stay in Australia. This is because you must be outside Australia when a decision is made on your application.


    Do not make arrangements to travel to Australia permanently, leave your job or sell your home until we advise you in writing that you have been granted the visa.

    Provide biometrics

    You might need to provide biometrics (fingerprints and photo). We will let you know if you need to provide them.

    Have health checks

    You might need to have health checks. We will let you know if you need them.

    More information is available about health checks.

    Pay the second instalment

    Pay the second instalment when we ask you to. We will send you an invoice for the instalment after you have met all other requirements for the visa. You must pay the instalment to be granted the visa.

    Provide character documents

    Your sponsor and family members who are 16 years old or older and applying for the visa with you might also need to provide the documents.

    Attend an interview

    We might ask you to attend an interview.

    Send more information or documents

    If you did not include all documents when you applied, send them as soon as you can.

    We might also ask you to provide more information.

    Add family members

    You can add family members to your application before a decision is made. Complete and send us Form 1436 - Adding an additional applicant after lodgement (364 KB PDF) with evidence of your relationship and the family member’s passport.

    Newborn children
      If your child is born after you lodge your application but before a decision is made, send us:
    • a completed Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances (266 KB PDF)
    • the child’s birth certificate
    • the child’s passport, when obtained.
      When we receive the form and birth certificate:
    • the child will be added to your visa application
    • we might request a health check for the child
    • if the child was born in Australia, they will automatically be granted the same visa you held at the time of their birth.

    If you are eligible for the visa, we will need a copy of your child’s passport before decision.

    There is no fee to add a newborn child to your application

    Tell us of changes

    You need to tell us of changes if:

    • there are any changes to your circumstances, for example, change of address or telephone number
    • you made a mistake on your application
    • you need to provide more information
    • you want to withdraw your application.
    • More information is available at the Tell us of Changes tab

Tell us of changes

Changes to your circumstances

Tell us if there are changes to your circumstances after you lodge your application but before a decision is made.

Send more information

If you did not send all documents with your application, send them as soon as you can.

We might also ask you to provide more information.

Mistakes on your visa application

Tell us if there are any mistakes in your application.

Complete Form 1023 - Notification of incorrect answer(s) (99KB PDF).

Withdraw your visa application

You can withdraw your visa application at any time before we make a decision.

Complete Form 1446 - Withdrawal of a visa application (375KB PDF).

    The letter must include your:
  • full name
  • date of birth
  • file reference number or client ID.

All applicants who are 18 years or older must sign the withdrawal request.

Withdraw your sponsorship

Sponsor applications can be withdrawn at any time before we make a decision on the visa application.

    Your request must be made in writing. Include:
  • your full name
  • your date of birth
  • the number we gave you when you applied, if you know it - a file reference number or Client ID.

Estimate the cost of your visa

* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator might not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.