Training visa (subclass 407)


This visa allows you to:

  • take part in workplace-based training to enhance your skills in your current occupation, area of tertiary study, field of expertise
  • participate in a professional development training program in Australia.

This visa is not appropriate for persons whose sole intention is to work.


You must:

  • be nominated (unless your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)
  • be invited (if your sponsor is a Commonwealth Government agency)
  • usually be at least 18 years of age

Length of stay

Up to 2 years


From AUD 285

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

Information about recent changes is available, see summary of 18 March 2018 changes to the lists of eligible skilled occupations.

Learn about...​

The process

Processing time

75 per cent of applications processed90 per cent of applications processed
55 days 75 days

Last updated 17 October 2018 (for month ending 30 September 2018)

Processing times vary.

For more information read Global visa and citizenship processing times.


Who could get this visa

You must meet certain requirements to be eligible for this visa.

Note: The Training and Research visa (subclass 402) is now closed to new applications. If you already hold a subclass 402 visa, you can continue to do the training or activity for which you were granted the visa until your visa expires.

Functional English language

You must provide evidence that you have functional English language skills to undertake the training.

Financial support

You might be asked to provide evidence that you can financially support yourself and your accompanying family members while in Australia.


You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your period of stay, country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.

Health insurance

You are responsible for all your health costs while you are in Australia. You will not be covered by Australia's national health scheme (Medicare) unless your country has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.

You must have adequate health insurance unless you are covered by Medicare. This applies to you and any dependent family members listed in the application.

If you are not entitled to Medicare benefits, you can ask for an exemption from Australia's Medicare levy in your end-of-year tax return.


You must meet certain character requirements. If your stay in Australia, including any time already spent in Australia is more than 12 months, you must obtain a police clearance if you are 16 years of age or older.

You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age

This applies to you and all the dependent family members listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not.

Debts to the Australian Government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

This also applies to all dependent family members in your application who are 18 years of age or older.

Payment of salary or wages

You must be paid a salary or wages in accordance with Australian laws and practices.

If this is a volunteer position, you and your sponsor should complete the Acknowledgement of unpaid placement forms. Your sponsor should lodge them with the nomination.

Payment for visas declaration

Sponsors, nominators and visa applicants are required to provide a statement in relation to current or previous conduct that constitutes a breach in 'paying for visa sponsorship' activity. This declaration is included in the visa application form.

The visa

About this visa

The Training visa (subclass 407) is for people who want to come to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development.

What this visa lets you do

If you are outside Australia at time of grant

If you are in Australia at time of grant

Note: Part-time, classroom-based study that is unrelated to your occupational training may be permitted, provided it does not interfere with your occupational training program. The unrelated classroom study cannot count towards any component of the training program and should be listed in your visa application.


From AUD285

    You might have to pay additional costs for:
  • additional applicant 18 and over
  • additional applicant under 18.
Other costs

You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements

Use the Visa pricing estimator to estimate the cost of your application.

Visa pricing estimator


You can be in or outside Australia when you lodge your application.

How long your visa lasts

If you are outside Australia at time of grant

If you are in Australia at time of grant

The duration of stay (stay period) you have been granted will be consistent with the requirements of your training position or professional development program.

When you receive your visa, you are issued with a visa grant notification letter that explains the conditions of your visa, including the stay period and entry requirements.

Renewing your visa

If you want to stay longer when you are in Australia, you must lodge a new application for this visa, including all relevant documents, before your current visa expires.

You will need continuing sponsorship and may have to provide an explanation of why you were unable to complete the training within the initial training period granted.


You may be able to bring your family members to Australia with you, if you are granted this visa.

Family members who are granted a visa to join you in Australia can only work up to 40 hours a fortnight.

Workplace rights in Australia

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

Your obligations

While you are in Australia, you and your family must:

  • comply with Australian laws, including all the requirements and conditions of your visa
  • leave Australia before your granted period of stay ends and your visa expires
  • maintain adequate health insurance.

As an occupational trainee, you must:

  • participate fully in the occupational training or professional development program you were nominated for (you cannot stop participating)
  • not do any work, other than in relation to your approved training program
  • not become unemployed, leave your training to work for someone else, or work for someone else in a second job
  • not do any other activities that could affect your participation in the training program
  • tell your sponsor if your personal circumstances change, such as if you cannot continue the training
  • tell your sponsor if you have any concerns about the training program.

Changing sponsors

If you decide to train with another organisation while in Australia, you will need to be sponsored by that organisation, which must lodge a new nomination for you. When the new nomination is approved you will be able to undertake occupational training with that organisation for the period left on your visa without having to apply for a new visa, provided you continue to undertake the training program for which your subclass 407 visa was granted.

If your occupational training program changes, you should lodge a new subclass 407 visa application.

If your sponsor ceases your training you must notify the department and may try to find another organisation that is willing to sponsor you.


This information is for a person who wants to sponsor someone for a Training visa (subclass 407).

To become a Temporary Activities sponsor you must lodge your application online through your ImmiAccount.

Who can sponsor visa applicants?

As a temporary activities sponsor, you must:

  • be one of the following types of organisations:
    • an organisation lawfully operating in Australia
    • Government agency
    • Foreign government agency
    • have no adverse information known about you or a person associated with you that could affect your suitability as a sponsor, unless it is reasonable for the Department to disregard the information
    • have the capacity to comply with your sponsorship obligations and
    • directly provide the occupational training, unless an exemption exists.

Exemption from the requirement to directly provide occupational training

The following are exempt from the requirement to directly provide the occupational training:

  • the sponsor is supported by a Commonwealth agency, and the Commonwealth agency has provided a letter endorsing the arrangement for the provision of the occupational training
  • the sponsor is specified in a legislative instrument
  • the occupational training will be provided in circumstances specified in a legislative instrument.



Sponsorship applications lodged before 19 November 2016

From 19 November 2016, a single sponsorship (temporary activities sponsor) replaced six existing sponsorship types, including the training and research sponsor and professional development sponsor.

You will need to apply online using ImmiAccount for approval as a temporary activities sponsor if you want to sponsor a person on a Training visa (subclass 407).

How long the sponsorship lasts

Generally, temporary activities sponsorships will be approved for a period of five years commencing from the date of approval.

Sponsorship obligations

Sponsorship obligations apply to an approved sponsor by operation of law once you are approved as a sponsor.

The sponsorship application form requires you to provide information that demonstrates your capacity to meet your sponsorship obligations, for example, evidence of your financial status, registration status and your existing number of employees.

The sponsorship obligations are set out in Division 2.19 of the Migration Regulations 1994.


This information is for an approved sponsor who wants to nominate someone for a Training visa (subclass 407).

Nomination process

The nomination process identifies the:

  • nomination eligibility type (see: Nomination types)
  • details of the proposed training program
  • position to be filled
  • skills, qualifications and experience required for the position
  • person who has been nominated to take part in the activity.

You will need to apply online using ImmiAccount to nominate a Training visa (subclass 407) applicant or holder.

Who can nominate an applicant?

You can nominate someone for a Training visa (subclass 407) if you are one of the following:

  • an approved temporary activities sponsor
  • you have already lodged an application to become an approved temporary activities sponsor.

Your nomination application cannot be approved until your sponsorship is approved.

If you applied for approval before 19 November 2016 and are approved

Nomination applications lodged before 19 November 2016

All nominations lodged before 19 November 2016 must be linked to an associated Training and Research visa (subclass 402) application lodged before 19 November 2016.

If you lodged a nomination before the 19 November 2016 and the person you have nominated was unable to lodge an associated visa application before 19 November 2016, you might want to contact your processing office to withdraw any unfinalised nominations.

Commonwealth agencies

Commonwealth agencies, as approved sponsors, do not need to lodge a nomination.

However, the agency must provide a letter:

  • stating that it agrees to be the sponsor of the applicant who is to do the occupational training and, if applicable, their family members
  • detailing the type, location and duration of the training.

A copy of this letter must be included with the sponsored applicant's visa application.

Agencies of Australian state or territory governments are required to nominate trainees.


Unless they are undertaking a volunteer position, occupational trainees must be paid in accordance with Australia’s industrial relation laws. A copy of the training contract or agreement, detailing their remuneration, must be included with the nomination.

You must provide evidence of a direct employment arrangement, unless an exemption applies.

If the nominee will not be paid, the sponsoring organisation and the nominee should complete the Acknowledgement of unpaid placement forms, which the sponsor should submit with the nomination using ImmiAccount

Nomination types

Nomination requirements differ depending on the purpose or type of training that the visa applicant will be doing in Australia.

There are three types of occupational training (nomination eligibility types) covered by this visa:

The nominee must have functional English language skills to undertake the occupational training and understand workplace health and safety procedures



You must provide all relevant documents and pay the nomination charge when you apply.

How to nominate a visa applicant

How long the nomination lasts

Your nomination lasts for up to 12 months, or until the earliest of the following:

  • the day we receive notification, in writing, of the withdrawal of the nomination by you
  • 3 months after the day on which your approval as a sponsor that could make the nomination ceases
  • the day on which your approval as a sponsor is cancelled
  • the day on which the applicant, or proposed applicant, who you identified in the nomination is granted a subclass 407 visa.

After you apply

In some cases, you might be asked to provide additional information to enable a decision to be made.

Follow these steps

  1. Before you apply


    This is a sponsored visa. Before you can apply for this visa, your sponsoring organisation must have applied for or been approved as a sponsor (of a relevant class).

    Where your sponsor is not a Commonwealth agency, your sponsoring organisation must nominate you (for approval) to undertake the occupational training program. Commonwealth agencies, as approved sponsors, do not need to lodge a nomination.

    Note: The Training and Research visa (subclass 402) is now closed to new applications. If you already hold a subclass 402 visa, you can continue to do the training or activity for which you were granted the visa until your visa expires.

    Your passport

    If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. If you get a new passport after you have lodged your application, you must notify the Department of this change in writing. You can do this using ImmiAccount.

  2. Gather documents

    Prepare your documents

    You need to provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.

    Provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Police certificates should be original documents. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

  3. Apply

    Apply for the visa

    Visa applications must be made online, unless otherwise authorised. Applicants and agents can access online services by creating an account in ImmiAccount.

    Create an ImmiAccount

    You should apply for your visa well before you plan to travel.

    More information

    Please refer to preparing your application for information on:

    • certifying and translating documents into English
    • communicating with us
    • using a migration agent
    • authorising another person to receive information from us
    • receiving assistance with your application.
  4. After you apply

    After you have lodged your application and documents, we will acknowledge that we have received your information.

    Wait for a decision

    We have visa processing times for each visa.

    Your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete.

    Outside Australia:

    If you apply for this visa from outside Australia, do not make arrangements to travel to Australia until you are advised in writing that you have been granted a visa.

    In Australia:

    If you apply for this visa in Australia, you could be able to get a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is processed. If you are given a Bridging visa A, you can apply for Bridging visa B to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

    Track and manage your application

    A Transaction Reference Number (TRN) is a unique number assigned to each online application.

    You will need this to:

    • track and manage your application
    • identify your application when you communicate with us
    • check your visa entitlements.

    You will need to

      login to your ImmiAccount. You can use your account to:
    • continue a saved application
    • attach documents
    • update passport details
    • change email and address details
    • check progress of your application.

    Provide more information

    You can provide more information to us, at any time until a decision is made on the application. If you want to correct information you provided, use:

    • Form 1023 – Notification of incorrect answer(s) (242KB PDF)
    • We could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have.

      If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

      You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

    Tell us of changes

    You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

    The following online forms are available in ImmiAccount:

    • Appointment or withdrawal of an authorised recipient (including migration agent)
    • Change of address details
    • Change of email address details
    • Change of passport details
    • Notification of changes in circumstances
    • Notification of incorrect answer(s).

    More information is available in the Tell us of changes tab.

    Visa decision

    If the visa is granted, we will let you know:

    • when you can use the visa
    • the visa grant number
    • any conditions attached to the visa.

    You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

    If the visa is not granted, we will let you know:

    • why the visa was refused
    • your review rights (if any). Where applicable, your sponsor can apply for the decision to be reviewed
    • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

    Provide biometrics

    You might be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.

Tell us of changes

Changes to your circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount. If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.

Withdrawing your visa application

You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include your file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number (TRN).

All applicants 18 years of age or older, wishing to withdraw, must sign the request for withdrawal.

Estimate the cost of your visa

Will the primary applicant be in Australia when the application is lodged?
* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator might not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.