Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)

​This visa is closed to new applications.​


This visa allows the temporary stay of domestic workers who intend to be employed full time and exclusively in the household of an accredited diplomat or consular officer in Australia.


You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • are 18 years or older
  • intend to be employed as a domestic worker in the household of an eligible holder of a Diplomatic visa (subclass 995) in Australia
  • have a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).

About this visa

The Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426) closed on 24 November 2012. You cannot apply for this visa. 

You might be able to apply for the Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403).

Visa holders

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

This information is for people who have already been granted a Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426). It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

How long your visa lasts

The length of your Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426) will depend on your individual circumstances and those of your employer.

Your visa cannot last any longer than the length of the posting of your current employer.

What this visa lets you do

This visa allows you to:

  • enter Australia temporarily
  • work in the domestic duties in the household of someone who holds a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995)
  • enter and leave Australia while your visa is valid.

Your obligations

You must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

During your stay in Australia you must:

  • maintain adequate health insurance
  • continue to meet the requirements of the visa stream you were granted
  • meet Australian taxation obligations if you work in Australia.

Visa holder obligations

You must:

  • work only in the household of your employer
  • only work doing domestic duties
  • not work for another person or for yourself
  • not stay in Australia if your employer leaves permanently unless the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has agreed to you staying in Australia 
  • seek the agreement of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade if you want to transfer your employment and enter into a new employment agreement in the household of another diplomatic visa holder.

Your sponsor’s obligations

Your sponsor is your employer. They must:

  • provide at least the minimum standards for wages and working conditions under Australian law
  • make sure you leave Australia when your visa ends or when your job finishes, and pay the cost of our travel back to your home country.

Report changes in circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change.  This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount.  If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.