Business (Short Stay) visa (subclass 456)

​This visa is closed to new applications.​


This visa lets you visit Australia and stay for up to three months for business puposes.


You might be able to get this visa if you are travelling to Australia for:

  • business
  • business-related meetings
  • seminars
  • conventions
  • conferences
  • networking.

About this visa

The Business (Short Stay) visa (subclass 456) closed to new applications from 23 March 2013. The work entitlements on this visa have been replaced by the Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (subclass 400). From 19 November 2016, this visa was replaced by the Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialise) visa (subclass 400).

Business people intending to travel to Australia for a short business visit (for example, going to a conference, negotiation or meeting) but not intending to work in Australia, can apply for the Business Visitor stream of the Visitor visa (subclass 600).

Visa holders

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

This information is for people who have already been granted a Business (Short Stay) visa (subclass 456). It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

How long your visa lasts

We told you how long your visa lasts when you were sent the Notification of Grant letter. You cannot apply to extend your visa.

What this visa lets you do

This visa allows you to visit Australia for short-term business purposes, including business-related meetings, seminars, conventions, conferences or networking.

The visa allows you to enter Australia for:

  • a maximum of three months, if you have been granted a visa for a single visit
  • a maximum of three months per visit, if you have been granted a visa for more than one visit.

Work is usually not allowed. However, you might be able to do some work — for example, if the work is highly specialised and non-ongoing (usually less than six weeks for the life of the visa).

If your visa was granted with a ‘No further stay’ condition, you cannot apply for any other visa (except for a Protection visa) while you are in Australia.

Your obligations

You and your family must:

  • comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws
  • not do formal study or training in Australia that leads to a primary, secondary or higher education qualification.

Work in Australia

You must not:

  • work in Australia except under very limited circumstances
  • do work in Australia that can be done by an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent citizen
  • perform activities other than those stated in your visa application.

Report changes in circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change.  This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount.  If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.