Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) document checklist

You must provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide all relevant information and documents with your application.​

You must provide copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. In general, documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations. For country specific information, please see the website of the Australian Immigration Office where you will lodge your application for this visa.

Use this checklist to make sure your application is complete.​​​


  • Applying online:
  • Applying by post or in person:
    • First Work and Holiday visa - Form 1208 - Application for a Work and Holiday visa (205KB PDF) This option is only available to nationals of Austria, Chile, China, People's Republic of, Czech Republic, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Peru, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Thailand, Turkey and Vietnam.
    • Second Work and Holiday visa: you cannot lodge a paper application.

  • Acceptable evidence of Specified subclass 462 work includes copies of:
    • pay slips (work must have been undertaken after 18 November 2016 in order to be counted towards your three months' specified subclass 462 work total)
    • a written and signed piecework agreement setting out the pay rate per piece and how it is measured
    • Record My Hours app exported PDF timesheet. The timesheet cannot replace pay slips or piecework rate agreements.
    • group certificates
    • payment summaries
    • tax return
    • employer references
    • a completed employment verification form: Form 1464 – Work and Holiday visa: Employment verification (158KB PDF)
    • Australian bank statement covering the period of declared specified work.
    • a written and signed agreement setting out any lawful deductions in pay.

Receiving assistance

Complete these forms only if you are lodging a paper application:


Your personal documents

For first and second Work and Holiday visa applications:

  • Copies of the biographical pages of your current passport or travel document (these are the pages with the holder's photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
  • A copy of your birth certificate showing both parents' names. If you do not have a birth certificate and are unable to get one, you must provide a copy of the identification pages of at least one of the following documents:
    • family book showing both parents' names
    • identification document issued by the government
    • court-issued documents that verify your identity.
  • If your name has changed, a copy of the evidence of the name change.
  • Two recent passport-sized photographs (45 mm x 35 mm).
    • These photographs should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
    • Print your name on the back of each photograph.
  • If you have served in the armed forces of any country: copies of military service record or discharge papers.
  • Evidence of sufficient funds for personal support during your stay in Australia, of approximately AUD5000.
  • Evidence that you hold an onward travel ticket out of Australia OR have sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket at the conclusion of your stay. This must be in addition to your funds for personal support while in Australia.

First Work and Holiday visa applications - additional documents

  • Evidence of relevant educational qualifications.
  • For certain countries, a valid letter of government support for this application. For details, see: Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462).
  • Evidence that you have a level of English which is assessed as at least functional.  You must provide one of the following prescribed types of evidence:  the results of a specified English language test (IELTS, OET, PTE Academic, TOEFL, CAE) taken in the past 12 months or other eligible evidence of English skill. If you are providing the results of a Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test, the test must have been undertaken on or after 1 January 2015. For details, including other eligible evidence of English skill, see: Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462).