Skilled—Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476)


This visa allows:

  • recent engineering graduates of recognised institutions to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience.


You must:

  • be under 31 years of age
  • have completed an engineering degree at a recognised institution in the past two years
  • not have been the primary visa holder of a subclass 476 or 485 visa.

Length of stay

18 months


From AUD 375

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

Learn about...​

The process

Processing time

75 per cent of applications processed90 per cent of applications processed
5 months 6 months

Last updated 17 October 2018 (for month ending 30 September 2018)

Processing times vary.

For more information read Global visa and citizenship processing times


Who could get this visa

You might be able to get a Skilled — Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476) if:

  • you are younger than 31 years of age
  • you have completed an eligible engineering qualification from a recognised institution in the past two years
  • you have not held a Skilled — Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476) or a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) before (unless you were a member of the family unit)
  • you can demonstrate your English language ability
  • you meet health and character requirements.

Your engineering qualifications

In the two years before you apply, you must have completed one of the following qualifications in engineering:

  • bachelors degree
  • masters degree
  • doctoral degree
  • postgraduate diploma.

Your qualification must contain a major sequence of study or specialisation in engineering, such as:

  • civil engineering
  • structural engineering
  • chemical engineering
  • environmental engineering
  • electrical and electronics engineering
  • mechanical, production and plant engineering
  • mining and material engineering.

Recognised institutions

You must have completed your engineering qualification at a recognised educational institution. Study at an institution or college that is affiliated with a recognised institution does not satisfy this requirement.

English language ability

If you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States of America or the Republic of Ireland or you hold a valid passport from one of those countries, you are considered to meet the English language requirement for this visa. Otherwise, you must provide evidence of having achieved the following scores from one of the specified English language tests. You must complete your English language test before you apply.


You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations you need will depend on your personal circumstances, including your country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.

You are able to organise your health examinations upfront before lodging a visa application.


You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

This applies to you and any member of your family unit listed in the application.

Debts to the Australian Government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

This also applies to all dependent family members in your application who are 18 years of age or older.

The visa

About this visa

The Skilled — Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476) allows recent engineering graduates of eligible universities to gain up to 18 months of skilled work experience in occupations. It is a temporary visa.

Your family can also apply to join you in Australia after the visa is granted.

What you can do

This visa allows you and your family stay in Australia for up to 18 months. While in Australia, you can:

  • travel
  • work
  • study


From AUD375

    You might have to pay additional costs:
  • additional applicant charge 18 and over
  • additional applicant charge under 18
  • other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Use the Visa pricing estimator to estimate the cost of your application.

Visa pricing estimator


You may be inside or outside Australia when you apply for this visa however you must be outside of Australia when the visa is decided, unless you are a New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category visa (subclass 444). A New Zealand citizen who holds a Special Category visa (subclass 444) can be in or outside Australia when the visa is decided.

How long the visas lasts

A Skilled — Recognised Graduate visa (subclass 476) is valid for up to 18 months.


You can include the following people in your visa application at the time of lodgement:

  • your partner
  • your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child.

For detailed information regarding who you can include in your application see including family members in your application.

The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you. Members of your family unit must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements.

They cannot use the online form to apply.

They can be in or outside Australia when they apply for this visa.

    Members of your family unit who are added after a visa has been granted must:
  • provide the documents listed in the Follow these steps tab
  • pay the full visa application charge.

Your family can also apply to join you in Australia after the visa is granted.

Workplace rights in Australia

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also:Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all Australian laws.

You can live and work anywhere in Australia and engage in any type of employment.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

Follow these steps

  1. Before you apply

    ‘No further stay’ condition

    If you have a ‘No further stay’ condition on your visa, you cannot apply for a new visa while you are in Australia, except in extremely limited circumstances. You must leave Australia no later than the date on which your visa ends.

    Your passport

    If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. In most cases, you and your family members must have valid passports to be granted this visa.

    You might be able to update your passport details using ImmiAccount

  2. Gather documents


    Prepare your documents

    You must provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.

    You must provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

  3. Apply

    Apply for the visa online

    You can apply for this visa online using: Application for a Temporary Graduate or Skilled Regional visa.

    You must provide all relevant documents and pay the visa application charge by credit card when you apply.

    Apply for the visa on paper

    To apply by post or courier, use the following form: Form 1276 - Application for general skilled migration to Australia (922 kB PDF).

    This form is only available online. You can print it, complete it, and then send by post or courier. You must provide all relevant documents and pay the visa application charge when you apply.

    Send completed forms and documents by post or courier to the Adelaide office - attention Adelaide General Skilled Migration Processing Centre.

    More information

    Please refer to preparing your application, for information on:

    • certifying and translating documents into English
    • communicating with us
    • using a migration agent
    • authorising another person to receive information from us
    • receiving assistance with your application.
  4. After you apply

    After you have lodged your application and documents, we will acknowledge that we have received your information.

    You can track and manage your application using ImmiAccount.

    Note: If you submitted a paper application you can import your application into ImmiAccount.

    Wait for a decision

    We have visa processing times for each visa.

    Your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete.

    Do not make arrangements to travel to Australia until you are advised in writing that you have been granted a visa.

    Provide more information

      You can provide more information to us, at any time until a decision is made on the application. If you want to correct information you provided, use:
    • Form 1023 - Notification of incorrect answer(s) (99KB PDF)

    We could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have. You might be able to provide additional information, including Form 1023, using ImmiAccount.

    If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

    You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

    Tell us of changes

    You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

    More information is available in the Tell us of changes tab.

    Visa decision

      If the visa is granted, we will let you know:
    • when you can use the visa
    • the visa grant number
    • any conditions attached to the visa
      If the visa is not granted, we will let you know:
    • why the visa was refused
    • your review rights (if any). Where applicable, your sponsor can apply for the decision to be reviewed
    • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

Tell us of changes

How to tell us of changes

Tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth or death in your family.

You can use the following forms:

  • Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details (86KB PDF)- if you move to a new address or change your passport
  • Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances (77KB PDF) — if there are other changes in your circumstances.

You might be able to update your address and passport details using ImmiAccount

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.

Withdrawing your visa application

You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include your file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number.

All applicants 18 years of age or older, wishing to withdraw, must sign the request for withdrawal.

Please note if you withdraw your application you will not be entitled to a refund of fees and charges associated with the visa application.

Estimate the cost of your visa

Will you be lodging your application online?
* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator might not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.