Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) document checklist

​You must provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.​

You must provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

Use this checklist to make sure your application is complete.​​​

Applying online: Upload all of your suppo​rting documents through your ImmiAccount.

Applying on paper: Send completed forms and documents by post or courier.

Post (with the correct pre-paid postage):

SA Temporary Graduate Processing Centre
Department of Home Affairs
GPO Box 2399

SA Temporary Graduate Processing Centre
Department of Home Affairs
4th Floor
70 Franklin Street


Receiving assistance

Complete these forms only if you are lodging a paper application:


Personal documents

Your identity
  • Certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder's photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
  • A certified copy of your birth certificate showing both parents' names. If you do not have a birth certificate and are unable to get one, you must provide a certified copy of the identification pages of at least one of the following documents:
    • family book showing both parents' names
    • identification document issued by the government
    • court-issued documents that verify your identity.
    If you are unable to provide any of these documents, you must provide other acceptable evidence that you are who you claim to be.

  • Two recent passport-sized photographs (45 mm x 35 mm) of each person included in the application.
    • These photographs should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
    • Print the name of the person on the back of each photograph.
  • If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed: a certified copy of evidence of the name change.

Your family relationships

  • Certified copies of marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you and anyone else included in your application, even if they are not joining you in Australia.
  • If you are living in a de facto relationship: independent evidence that you have been in the relationship for at least 12 months (for example, joint bank account statements, billing accounts in joint names or joint ownership of major assets).
  • If you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated: a certified copy of the death certificate, divorce documents, or statutory declaration separation documents.
  • Evidence of financial dependency for all your family members aged 18 or older (such as evidence of current studies):
    • a certified copy of their birth certificate and proof of their relationship to you
    • proof that they live in your household
    • proof that they have been financially dependent on you for at least the 12 months immediately before you lodge your application.
  • If any dependent child included in the application is adopted: certified copies of the adoption papers.
  • If you want to bring a child younger than 18 years of age with you to Australia, and that child's other parent is not included in the application, you must provide documentary evidence that you have the legal right to bring that child to Australia, such as: If you use Form 1229 or a statutory declaration, you will have to attach a certified copy of the other parent's government-issued identification document (such as a passport or driver's licence) with their photograph and signature.

Health and character documents​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

  • When the visa application is made, it must be accompanied by evidence that everyone included in the application has adequate health insurance in Australia. Provide any one of the following:
    • a signed letter from a health insurance provider (138 KB RTF)
    • a Medicare card or receipt of enrolment with Medicare
    • other evidence of adequate health insurance
    • if you are from a country with a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia and will be eligible for Medicare when you arrive here, evidence of adequate health insurance (including travel insurance) to cover you until you enrol in Medicare
    • evidence that you hold a passport from the Republic of Ireland.
  • When the visa application is made, it must be accompanied by evidence that everyone above the age of 16 included in the application had applied for an Australian Federal Police Check check during the 12 months immediately before the day the application is made.

  • The AFP National Police Check Application Form is available from the Australian Federal Police website - either an online form or paper form. Visa applicants should tick Code 33 in Section 8 of the form. Fingerprints are not required.

    You will be issued with a 'National Police Check' certificate which will have 'Complete Disclosure' in the heading if your AFP police check application is successful.

  • You might need to provide police certificates from each country in which anyone in your application has spent a total of 12 months or more in the past 10 years since turning 16 years of age. The office processing your application will advise you if they need these documents.
  • If anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country: certified copies of their military service record or discharge papers.

The Australian study requirement

  • Completion letters from your education provider stating:
    • the date that the course started and ended
    • the date that course requirements were met
    • the location of the campus where you studied
    • whether the study involved any distance learning whether the study was full-time or part-time
    • the language in which instruction was given
  • Certified copies of course transcripts.
  • Where credit has been granted, it must state whether the credit granted on the basis of study was in a course that also met the conditions of the Australian study requirement.
    Example: You studied a course in Australia that was taught in English and registered with CRICOS.

    If any credits have been granted towards the completion of your award then please ensure your transcript clearly indicates the details of these transferred credits.

  • Graduate Work stream

    Provide these documents with your application if you are applying in the Graduate Work stream.

    • Skills assessment for your nominated occupation (which is on the list of eligible skilled occupations) – either:
      • evidence of your successful skills assessment in which the relevant assessing authority has assessed your skills as suitable for your nominated occupation, or
      • evidence that you have applied to the relevant assessment authority for a skills assessment for your nominated occupation.

    Documents to show English language ability
    • The results of a specified English language test (IELTS, Occupational English Test (OET), Pearson Test of English Academic, or TOEFL iBT) that you took less than three years before l​odging your application. You can also provide the results of a Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test, but the test must have been undertaken on or after 1 January 2015 and before lodging your application.

    You do not need to provide documents to show your English language proficiency if you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand, the United States or the Republic of Ireland and you have a valid passport from one of those countries.​​​​​​​​