Skilled —Independent Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 495)

​This visa is closed to new applications.​


This visa is for skilled workers who are unable to meet the criteria for a permanent visa the opportunity to eventually apply for residence in Australia


You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • are sponsored by an Australian state or territory government
  • have skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List.

About this visa

The Skilled - Independent Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 495) closed to new applications on 1 September 2007. You might be able to get the Skilled – Regional (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa.

Members of your family unit might be able to get the Skilled – Regional (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa if you already hold this visa and they want to join you in Australia.

Visa holders

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

This information is for people who have already been granted a Skilled - Independent Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 495). It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

How long your visa lasts

This visa is valid for four years after you first enter Australia.

What this visa lets you do

This visa allows you and your dependent family members who also hold a subclass 495 visa to:

  • live, work and study in Australia
  • become eligible to apply for permanent residence
  • travel in and out of Australia any number of times as long as the visa is valid.

You cannot access Medicare, family assistance or social security benefits.

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Report changes in circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change.  This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount.  If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.