Tourist visa (subclass 676)

​This visa is closed to new applications.​


This visa lets you travel to Australia and stay for up to twelve months as a tourist.


You might be able to get this visa if you are:

  • touring
  • visiting friends and family.

About this visa

The Tourist visa (subclass 676) is closed to new applications. You may be eligible to apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600).

This visa allows you either a single or multiple entries to Australia and to stay in Australia for a period of time determined by the Department.

Visa holders

This information is for people who have already been granted a Tourist visa (subclass 676). It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

How long your visa lasts

When your visa was granted, we told you how long it lets you stay in Australia.

We also told you how many times you can enter Australia on this visa:

  • You might be allowed to enter Australia only once. If so, you will need to apply for a new visa if you want to return to Australia again after you leave.
  • You might be able to travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid, but the time you spend in Australia cannot be more than the period of stay that you have been granted.

Your obligations

You must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Visa conditions

You must comply with the following visa conditions:

  • Unless you were granted a visa that specifically allows you to work, you must not work while in Australia. You might be able to do some volunteer work, but only if an Australian resident would not otherwise be paid to do the work (you can be reimbused for out-of-pocket expenses such as meals and accommodation).
  • You must not study for more than three months while in Australia.

You might also need to maintain adequate health insurance while you are in Australia.

Extending your stay

If you are in Australia and want to extend your stay for tourism purposes, you might be able to apply for a Visitor visa (subclass 600). If you are able to apply, you should do so at least two weeks before your current visa expires. If your Tourist visa (subclass 676) has a 'No further stay condition', you cannot apply for a Visitor visa(subclass 600).

A Visitor visa (subclass 600) can be granted if you:

  • substantially complied with the conditions of your previous visa
  • meet all the eligibility criteria for this visa
  • do not have a Condition 8503 ('No further stay') on your visa.

If you hold a Visitor visa or a Working Holiday visa, you can only extend your stay in Australia so that the total duration of your stay is 12 months or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances. If you hold a Visitor or Working Holiday visa that lets you stay in Australia for 12 months, contact your nearest Australian visa office before applying for another visa.

If you are granted another visa, it will cease any visa or ETA you currently hold and the entitlements attached to it.

If a decision has not been made on your application before your original visa expires, you will be able to stay in Australia until the application has been finalised.

If you are refused another visa, you must leave Australia before the expiry of your authorised stay period.