Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685)

​This visa is closed to new applications.​


This visa lets you travel to Australia for medical treatment or medical consultations or related reasons. You can stay in Australia for up to 12 months.


You might be able to get this visa if you are:

  • planning any medical treatment or consultations in Australia except surrogate motherhood
  • travelling to Australia to donate an organ
  • accompanying or providing support to the person needing treatment
  • in Australia, aged over 50, and have been refused a permanent visa only on the grounds of health.

About this visa

The Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685) closed to new applications on 23 March 2013. You might be able to get a Medical Treatment visa (subclass 602).

If you already have the Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685), it will be valid until the expiry date you were given when your visa was granted.

Visa holders

This information is for people who have already been granted a Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685) or for people who applied for the visa before it was closed to new applications and for which a decision has not yet been made. It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

How long your visa lasts

The Medical Treatment Long Stay visa (subclass 685) lasts until the date we gave you in the letter telling you were granted the visa. The intent is to give you time to have your medical treatment.

Extending your stay

You can apply for a further visa:

  • if medical treatment will continue beyond your visa’s expiry date
  • for a holiday, sightseeing, to visit friends or relatives or for other purposes.

You must apply for and be granted your next visa before your current visa ends.

What this visa lets you do

This visa allows you to:

  • stay in Australia for medical treatment
  • study for up to three months, unless you are younger than 18 years old and your circumstances change while you are in Australia and there are compelling and compassionate circumstances for your need to study or train for more than three months.

Your support

If you already hold this visa, the following people might be able to join you in Australia by applying for a Medical Treatment visa (subcl​ass 602):

  • someone who wants to come with you to give you emotional and other support while you have your treatment.

These people can apply for a Medical Treatment visa (subclass 602) using:

  • Form 48MEApplication to visit Australia for medical treatment (259 kB PDF file).

In Australia:

Post, fax or courier your application to the Canberra office in Australian Capital Territory.  You can pay by credit card, debit card, bank cheque or money order made payable to the Department of Home Affairs.

Outside Australia:

Lodge your application at one of the immigration offices outside Australia.

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws. You cannot work in Australia, except under limited circumstances. You can study for up to three months unless exceptions apply.

Leave before your visa ends

You are expected to leave Australia before your visa ends. You might be able to apply for another visa in Australia if you need more medical treatment. Medical Treatment visas are usually granted for a short time only, and you are expected to return to your home country.

Report changes in circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change.  This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount.  If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.