Skilled — Independent visa (subclass 885)

​This visa is closed to new applications.​


This visa is for international students who have completed their course studies in the last six months in Australia and holders of certain temporary visas to apply for permanent residency.


You might be able to get this visa if you are one of the following:

  • a current or former international student
  • a holder of a Skilled – Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 485) or Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) visa (subclass 476)
  • a holder of a Trade Skills Training visa (subclass 471).

You must:

  • be under 50 years of age
  • have competent English language skills
  • have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation.

About this visa

The Skilled – Independent visa (subclass 885) closed to new applications on 1 January 2013.

You must be in Australia when the visa is granted.

Visa applicants

This information is for people who have already applied for a Skilled – Independent visa (subclass 885).

You cannot lodge a new application for this visa but if no decision has been made on your visa, members of the family unit can lodge a combined application.

Health and character requirements

We will contact you when you need to provide health or character documents.

Debts to the Australian Government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

After you have applied


After you have lodged your application and documents, we will acknowledge that we have received your information.

We will also assign you a case officer who will consider your application and can request an interview, ask for more information and make a decision.

Wait for a decision


We have visa processing times for each visa.

Your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including chest x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete.


If you apply for this visa in Australia, you would be able to get a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is processed. If you are given a Bridging visa A, you can apply for Bridging visa B to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

Provide more information


You can provide more information to us, at any time until a decision is made on the application. If you want to correct information you provided, use:

We could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have.

If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

Report changes in circumstances


You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount. If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.​​

Withdrawing your application


​You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include your file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number.

​​​All applicants 18 years of age or older, wishing to withdraw, must sign the request for withdrawal.​​​​​​

Visa decision


If the visa is granted, we will let you know:

  • when you can use the visa
  • the visa grant number
  • any conditions attached to the visa.​


If the visa is not granted, we will let you know:

  • why the visa was refused
  • your review rights (if any). Where applicable, your sponsor can apply for the decision to be reviewed
  • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

Contact information


​If information needs to be updated, contact the Adelaide General Skilled Migration (GSM) processing centre.​​

Visa holders

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

This information is for people who have already been granted a Skilled – Independent visa (subclass 885). It explains your rights and obligations.


You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

What this visa lets you do


This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any member of your family unit who has also been granted this visa:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Your obligations


You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.