Skilled Regional visa (subclass 887)


This is a permanent visa for people who have lived and worked in specified areas of regional Australia. ​


You must:
  • hold a subclass 489, 495, 496, 475 or 487, or a Bridging visa A or B after applying for a subclass 489, 495 or 487 visa
  • have lived in a specified regional area of Australia for at least two years
  • have worked full time in a specified regional area for at least one year

Length of stay



From AUD 385

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

Learn about...​

The process

Processing time

75 per cent of applications processed90 per cent of applications processed
12 months 15 months

Last updated 17 October 2018 (for month ending 30 September 2018)

Processing times vary.

For more information read Global visa and citizenship processing times.


Current visa

    You must currently hold either:
  • a skilled visa
  • a Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B that was granted in relation to an application for a subclass 487, 489 or 495.

You must have held a skilled visa at some time for at least two years before you apply for the visa.

Note: Dependents and partners who hold a skilled visa and meet all other eligibility criteria can apply for this subclass 887 visa as the main applicant.


You must meet our health requirement.


You must meet our character requirement.


You must have repaid, or have arranged to repay, any outstanding debts to the Australian government.

Cancelled visas

You might not be eligible for this visa if you have had a visa cancelled or refused while you were in Australia.

The visa

What you can do


The visa costs from AUD385.

You might have to pay additional costs.

Use the Visa pricing estimator to estimate the cost of your application.

Visa pricing estimator

Note: The estimator does not calculate the second instalment or other costs.


You must be in Australia when you apply for the visa and when a decision is made.

How long the visa lasts

This is a permanent visa – it lasts indefinitely.


You can include your partner and your or your partner’s child or step-child in your application.

There is eligibility criteria for family members.

Family members who are granted the visa have the same rights and can do the same things as you.

Your obligations

You and your family members must comply with Australian laws and your visa conditions.

You can find your visa conditions in VEVO.


You can travel in and out of Australia as many times as you want for up to five years after the visa is granted.

Follow these steps

  1. Gather documents

    Prepare your documents

    • All non-English documents must be translated into English. Contact the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpretors (NAATI) for a translator.

      Translators outside Australia do not need to be accredited, but they must endorse the translation with their full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

    • Scan all documents (English and non-English documents) in colour. The scanned documents must be legible.
    • Your documents do not have to be certified.
    • Send a document only once, even if you are using it as evidence for more than one criterion.
    • Information about attaching documents is available.
  2. Apply

    Apply for the visa online

    You must be in Australia when you apply for the visa and when a decision is made.

    Start your application

    If you don’t have an ImmiAccount, you need to create one.

    Create an ImmiAccount

    If you have an ImmiAccount, log in to start your application.

    Log into ImmiAccount

    When you are in ImmiAccount, select New application and then select Skilled Migration, then General Skilled Migration Visa (476, 887).

  3. After you apply

    Current visa expires

    When you lodged your application, you were granted a bridging visa. The bridging visa will come into effect only if your current visa expires. A bridging visa lets you stay in Australia while your subclass 887 visa application is being processed.

    If you held a Bridging visa A (BVA) or Bridging visa B (BVB) when you lodged your application, you were granted a Bridging visa C (BVC).

    If you held a visa that was not a bridging visa when you lodged your application, you were granted a Bridging visa A (BVA).

    Learn about travel outside Australia as a holder of a bridging visa.

    More information is available about bridging visas.


    You can travel outside Australia while your visa is being processed but you must let us know. This is because you must be in Australia when the visa is decided.

    Note: If you are not in Australia when the visa is decided, the visa will be refused.

    Bridging visa holders

    Only holders of a Bridging visa B (BVB) can return to Australia if they leave.

    Holders of a Bridging visa A should apply for and be granted a BVB before they depart Australia. You cannot apply for a BVB outside Australia.

    Holders of a Bridging visa C are not eligible for a BVB.

    Provide biometrics

    You might need to provide biometrics (fingerprints and photo). We will let you know if you need to provide them.

    Health checks

    You might need to have health checks. We will let you know if you need them.

    More information is available about our health requirement.

    Character checks

    You might also need to provide police certificates from countries you have lived in and other documents. Do not provide these documents unless we ask you to.

    Send more information or documents

    If you did not include all relevant documents when you applied, attach them to your ImmiAccount as soon as you can.

    If we request documents, you will usually have 28 days to provide them. Generally, we will not continue to process your application or respond to email enquiries during this 28 day period.

    Pay the second instalment if applicable

    If you need to pay the second instalment, we will send you an invoice for the instalment after you have met all other requirements for the visa.

    Please do not request the invoice.

    Add family members

    You cannot add family members after you have lodged your application except for newborn children.

    Newborn children
      If your child is born after you lodge your application but before a decision is made, attach to your ImmiAccount:
    • a completed Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances (266 KB PDF)
    • the child’s birth certificate
    • the child’s passport, when obtained.
      When we receive the form and birth certificate:
    • the child will be added to your visa application
    • we will request a health check for the child
    • if the child was born in Australia, they will automatically be granted the same visa you held at the time of their birth.

    If you are eligible for grant of the visa, we will need a copy of your child’s passport before decision.

    There is no fee to add a newborn child to your application.

    Tell us of changes

      You need to tell us of changes if:
    • there are any changes to your circumstances, for example, change of address, telephone number or birth of a child
    • you made a mistake on your application
    • you need to provide more information
    • you want to withdraw your application.

Tell us of changes

Changes to your circumstances

Tell us of changes via your ImmiAccount.

Tell us if there are changes to your circumstances after you lodge your application but before a decision is made.

You can update your contact details and passport number via your ImmiAccount.

Mistakes on your visa application

Tell us if there are any mistakes in your application.

Complete Form 1023 - Notification of incorrect answer(s) (99KB PDF).

Send more information

If you did not send all documents with your application, send them via your ImmiAccount as soon as you can.

We might also ask you to provide more information, which can be provided to us via your ImmiAccount.

Withdraw your visa application

You can withdraw your visa application at any time before we make a decision.

Complete Form 1446 - Withdrawal of a visa application (375KB PDF).

Removing your application from ImmiAccount does not withdraw it.

Estimate the cost of your visa

* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator might not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.