Business Owner visa (subclass 890)


This is a permanent residence visa. You will be able to travel in and out of Australia for five years.


You must:

  • hold a subclass 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 or 165 visa
  • have lived in Australian on this visa for at least 12 months in the last 2 years
  • have owned and operated a business in Australia for at least 2 years.

Length of stay



From AUD 2,275

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

Learn about​

The process

Processing time

75 per cent of applications processed90 per cent of applications processed
Unavailable due to low volume of applications. Unavailable due to low volume of applications.

Last updated 17 October 2018 (for month ending 30 September 2018)

Processing times vary.

For more information read Global visa and citizenship processing times


Who could get this visa

A Business Owner (subclass 890) visa is for people who own and manage a business in Australia.

You might be able to get this visa if:

Business requirements

You must show you can meet the following requirements in order to be granted a Business Owner visa (subclass 890):


You must meet certain health requirements. The results are usually valid for 12 months. Do not arrange a health examination until we ask you to.

This also applies to all members of your family unit listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not.


You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

This also applies to all members of your family unit listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not.

Debts to the Australian government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

The visa

What you can do

This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

You and your family are not able to access social security payments.

You can qualify for a Special Benefit payment from Centrelink if you suffer a major change of circumstances that is beyond your control.


From AUD2275

Other costs

You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Use the Visa pricing estimator to estimate the cost of your application.

Visa pricing estimator


You must be in Australia when you lodge your application. Your family can be in or outside Australia.

How long the visa lasts

This is a permanent residence visa


You can include the following people in your visa application at the time of lodgement:

  • your partner
  • your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child.

For detailed information regarding who you can include in your application see including family members in your application.

The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you.

Members of your family unit must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements.

You can add members of your family unit to your application until it has been decided.

Workplace rights in Australia

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

You must fulfil your business obligations.

Follow these steps

  1. Before you apply

    Notify the business development agency

    Before you apply you need to notify the business development agency in the state or territory in which you intend to continue your main business.

    To do this:

    You can notify agencies in more than one state or territory.

    A representative will sign, stamp and send it back to you. Include this completed form with your visa application.

    Your passport

    You need a valid passport or other travel document for this visa. If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. If you get a new passport after you have lodged your application, give the details of your new passport to one of our offices.

  2. Gather documents


    Prepare your documents


    You need to provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.

    Provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Police certificates should be original documents. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

    Some documents could take some time to obtain. You should have them ready when you lodge the application to reduce any delays in processing.

  3. Apply

    Lodge your application

    To apply for this visa you must complete:

    • Form 47BU - Application for a Business Skills (permanent) visa (589KB PDF)
    • Form 1217 - Business Skills profile: Business Owner (Residence)_(78KB PDF).

    Applications must be made by:

    (i) posting the application(with correct prepaid postage) to:

    Adelaide Business Skills Processing Centre
    Department of Immigration and Border Protection
    GPO Box 2399
    ADELAIDE SA 5001

    (ii) having the application delivered by a courier service to:

    Adelaide Business Skills Processing Centre
    Department of Immigration and Border Protection
    Level 4
    70 Franklin Street
    ADELAIDE SA 5001

    You can pay by credit card, debit card, bank cheque or money order made payable to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

    If you attempt to lodge an application at any other office or in any other way, it will not be a valid application and cannot be considered further.


    More information

    Please refer to preparing your application, for information on certifying and translating documents into English, communicating with us, using a migration agent, authorising another person to receive information from us, and receiving assistance with your application.

  4. After you apply

    Wait for a decision

    After you have lodged your application and documents, we will acknowledge that we have received your information.

    We have visa processing times for each visa.

    Your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete.

    In Australia

    If you apply for this visa in Australia, you would be able to get a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is processed. If you are given a Bridging visa A, you can apply for Bridging visa B to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

    Visa decision

    If the visa is granted, we will let you know:

    • when you can use the visa
    • the visa grant number
    • any conditions attached to the visa.

    If the visa is not granted, we will let you know:

    • why the visa was refused
    • your review rights (if any). Where applicable, your sponsor can apply for the decision to be reviewed
    • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

    Provide more information

    You can provide more information to us, at any time until a decision is made on the application. If you want to correct information you provided, use:

    • Form 1023 - Notification of incorrect answer(s) (99KB PDF).

    We could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have.

    If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

    You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

Tell us of changes

How to tell us of changes

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount. If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

  • Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details (86KB PDF) — if you move to a new address or change your passport
  • Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances (77KB PDF) — if there are other changes in your circumstances.

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and might be denied permission to board your plane.

Changes to your circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Withdrawing your visa application

You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include your file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number.

All applicants 18 years of age or older, wishing to withdraw, must sign the request for withdrawal.

Estimate the cost of your visa

* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator might not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.