State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner visa (subclass 892)


​This is a permanent residence visa.  You will be able to stay in Australia for five years.


You must:

  • hold a subclass 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 or 165 visa
  • have lived in Australian on this visa for at least 12 months in the last two years
  • have owned and operated a business in Australia for at least two years

Length of stay



From AUD 2,275

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

Learn about...​

The process

Processing time

75 per cent of applications processed90 per cent of applications processed
Unavailable due to low volume of applications. Unavailable due to low volume of applications.

Last updated 17 October 2018 (for month ending 30 September 2018)

Processing times vary.

For more information read Global visa and citizenship processing times


Who could get this visa

You might be able to get this visa if:
  • you hold one of the provisional visas granted on the basis that you or your current or former spouse or de facto partner satisfied the primary criteria
  • you met all the conditions of your provisional visa
  • you are sponsored by a state or territory authority
  • you have lived in Australia on one of these visas for at least 12 months in the past two years
  • you have a genuine commitment to continue to maintain business or investment activities in Australia
  • neither you nor your spouse or de facto partner has ever been involved in unacceptable business activities
  • you and all your family members meet health and character requirements.

Business requirements

You must show you can meet the following requirements in order to be granted a State/ Territory Sponsored Business Owner visa (subclass 892):

  • ownership of a main business or main businesses
  • acquisition of a main business or main businesses
  • employees and business/ personal assets
  • turnover
  • management in the main business or main businesses.

Ownership of a main business or main businesses

You must have had, and continue to have until a decision has been made on your visa application, an ownership interest in up to 2 actively operating main businesses in Australia for at least 2 years immediately before an application is made.

You and your spouse or de facto partner must own at least:

  • 51% of the business where the turnover is less than AUD 400 000
  • 30% of the business where the turnover is AUD 400 000 or more, or
  • 10% where the business is a publicly listed company.

Further information on how to demonstrate legal ownership of the business(es) is available under the tab Follow these steps

Acquisition of a main business or main businesses

You must be able to demonstrate that you legally acquired or established the business or businesses nominated in your application.

Further information on how to demonstrate legal ownership of the business(es) is available under Steps to apply

Employees and business/ personal assets

Unless the appropriate regional authority has determined that there are exceptional circumstances, you must meet at least two of the following three requirements.


You must provide Business Activity Statements (BAS) lodged with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) for the 2 years immediately before the application is made, and also demonstrate that the main business, or main businesses in Australian together, had an annual turnover of at least AUD200 000 in the 12 months immediately before the application is made.

Management in the main business or main businesses

You must supply evidence that you have participated in the day to day management of your nominated main business(es), and evidence of your involvement in making decisions affecting the overall direction and performance of the business, throughout the 24 months immediately prior to the date of application.

If you spent more than 6 weeks in total abroad during the 24 month period, you must account for any management activities that you undertook in relation to the business during this period and provide evidence of how you managed the business while you were absent.


You must meet certain health requirements. The results are usually valid for 12 months. Do not arrange a health examination until we ask you to.

This also applies to all the members of your family unit included in your application, whether they are migrating or not.


You must meet certain character requirement. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. Do not arrange for police certificates until we ask you to.

This applies to you and all members of your family unit listed in your application, whether they are migrating or not.

Debts to the Australian government

You must have no outstanding debts to the Australian Government or have arranged to repay any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before this visa can be granted.

The visa

About this visa

The State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner visa (subclass 892) is for people who own a new or existing business and are sponsored by a state or territory authority.

You can apply if you already hold a qualifying provisional business visa.

What this visa lets you do

This visa allows you to manage your business and investment activities in Australia.

This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any member of your family unit who has also been granted this visa:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

You and your family are not able to access social security payments.

You can qualify for a Special Benefit payment from Centrelink if you suffer a major change of circumstances that is beyond your control.


From AUD 2275

You might have to pay additional costs for:
  • Additional applicant 18 and over
  • Additional applicant under 18
Other costs

You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Use the Visa pricing estimator to estimate the cost of your application.

Visa pricing estimator

Note: The estimator does not calculate additional costs.


You must be in Australia when you lodge your application. Your family can be in or outside Australia.


You can include the following people in your visa application at the time of lodgement:

  • your partner
  • your child/step-child or your partner’s child/step-child.

For detailed information regarding who you can include in your application see including family members in your application.

The application must include documentary evidence of their relationship to you. Members of your family unit must be able to show that they meet health and character requirements.

Members of your family unit can be added to your visa application at any time until it has been decided.

Workplace rights in Australia

Workers in Australia – including visa holders with permission to work – have rights under Australian workplace law.

The Fair Work Ombudsman’s Pay and Conditions Tool (PACT) provides information on pay rates, shift calculations, leave arrangements and notice and redundancy entitlements.

See also: Workplace rights for all visa holders working in Australia

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

You must fulfil your business obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

Follow these steps

  1. Before you apply


    Before you apply you must get sponsorship from the regional authority in the state or territory in which you intend to continue your main business.

    To do this you must complete the sponsorship form:

    • Form 949 - State/Territory sponsorship: Business Skills class (115KB PDF).

    Send the completed form to the appropriate state or territory authority.

    A representative will sign, stamp and send it back to you. You must include this completed form with your visa application.

    Your passport

    You need a valid passport or other travel document for this visa. If you plan to get a new passport, you should do so before applying for your visa. If you get a new passport after you have lodged your application, give the details of your new passport to one of our offices.

  2. Gather documents


    Prepare your documents

    You need to provide documents to support your application for this visa. We can make a decision using the information you provide when you lodge your application. It is in your interest to provide as much information as possible with your application.

    Provide certified copies of original documents. Do not include original documents unless we specifically ask for them. Police certificates should be original documents. Documents not in English must be accompanied by accredited English translations.

    Some documents could take some time to obtain. You should have them ready when you lodge the application to reduce any delays in processing.

  3. Apply

    Lodge your application

    You must be in Australia when you lodge your application. Your family can be in or outside Australia.

    To apply for this visa you must complete:

    • Form 47BU - Application for a Business Skills (permanent) visa (589 kB PDF)
    • Form 1217 - Business Skills profile: Business Owner (residence) (78 kB PDF).

    Applications must be made by:

    (i) posting the application (with correct prepaid postage) to:

    Adelaide Business Skills Processing Centre
    Department of Immigration and Border Protection
    GPO Box 2399
    ADELAIDE SA 5001

    (ii) having the application delivered by a courier service to:

    Adelaide Business Skills Processing Centre
    Department of Immigration and Border Protection
    Level 4
    70 Franklin Street
    ADELAIDE SA 5001

    You can pay by credit card, debit card, bank cheque or money order made payable to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

    If you attempt to lodge an application at any other office or in any other way, it will not be a valid application and cannot be considered further.


    More information

    Please refer to preparing your application, for information on:

    • certifying and translating documents into English
    • communicating with us
    • using a migration agent
    • authorising another person to receive information from us
    • receiving assistance with your application.
  4. After you apply

    After you have lodged your application and documents, we will acknowledge that we have received your information.

    Wait for a decision

    We have visa processing times for each visa.

    Your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete.

    In Australia

    If you apply for this visa in Australia, you would be able to get a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is processed. If you are given a Bridging visa A, you can apply for Bridging visa B to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

    Provide more information

    You can provide more information to us, at any time until a decision is made on the application. If you want to correct information you provided, use:

    • Form 1023 - Notification of incorrect answer(s) (99KB PDF)

    We could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have.

    If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

    You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.


    You might be asked to provide biometrics (a scientific form of identification) as part of the application. Countries and visa subclasses included in the biometrics program has more information.

    Tell us of changes

    You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

    More information is available in the Tell us of changes tab.

    Visa decision

    If the visa is granted, we will let you know:

    • when you can use the visa
    • the visa grant number
    • any conditions attached to the visa.

    If the visa is not granted, we will let you know:

    • why the visa was refused
    • your review rights (if any). Where applicable, your sponsor can apply for the decision to be reviewed
    • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

Tell us of changes

Changes to your circumstances

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount. If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

  • Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details (86KB PDF) — if you move to a new address or change your passport
  • Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances (77KB PDF) — if there are other changes in your circumstances.

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.

Withdrawing your application

You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include your file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number.

All applicants 18 years of age or older, wishing to withdraw, must sign the request for withdrawal.

Estimate the cost of your visa

* Price will be displayed in Australian dollars unless changed.
The following Visa Pricing Estimator requires you to answer the questions as accurately as possible to provide you with an estimate for lodging a visa application. The estimator might not include the second instalment of the visa application charge which is payable for some visas. Please note this is an estimate for a visa application, if you have already lodged your application and you want to change/add applicants please refer to the Visa Pricing Table. The Visa Pricing Estimator will give you an estimate of the charges you may need to pay to lodge a visa application. This is paid after you have made your application but before the visa can be granted. Read the department's full disclaimer. The Commonwealth of Australia does not guarantee the accuracy, currency or completeness of any material in the Visa Pricing Estimator.