Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) (subclass 976)

​This visa is closed to new applications.​


An Electronic Travel Authority lets you visit Australia for holidays, tourism, recreation or for informal study. You can stay for up to three months on each visit.


You might be able to get an Electronic Travel Authority if you:

  • are outside Australia
  • hold an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) eligible passport.

About this electronic travel authority

You can no longer apply for an Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) (subclass 976). It closed to new applications on 22 March 2013. You might be able to a​pply for the Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601).

Electronic travel authority holders

This information is for people who have already been granted an Electronic Travel Authority (Visitor) (subclass 976). It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use the free Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) to check your visa status and entitlements.

How long your electronic travelvel Authority (Visitor) (subclass 976) is valid for the earlier of either 12 months  authority lasts

Your Electronic Trafrom the date your visa is granted or for the life of your passport.

What this electronic travel authority lets you do

You can:

  • enter Australia as many times as you want while it is valid
  • stay in Australia for up to three months on each visit.

Your obligations

You must comply with all electronic travel authority conditions and Australian laws.

You must:

  • be free from tuberculosis when you travel to and enter Australia
  • not work while in Australia. You may be able to do some volunteer work, but only if an Australian resident would not otherwise be paid to do the work (you can be reimbursed for out-of-pocket expenses such as meals and accommodation)
  • not study or train for more than three months
  • not have one or more criminal convictions for which you were sentenced to more than a total of 12 months (whether you went to prison or not).

Report changes in circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change.  This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

Please report changes in your circumstances via ImmiAccount.  If you are not able to use ImmiAccount, you can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.