Electronic Travel Authority

The Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) is available online 24 hours a day seven days a week, for applicants outside Australia who want to visit Australia for tourism or business purposes.

An ETA allows the holder to travel to Australia as many times as required within the validity period which is 12 months from the date of issue. The maximum length of each visit is three months.

An ETA is an electronically stored authority equivalent to a visa. There is no stamp or label placed in your passport. ETA information is accessible by airlines, travel agents and Australian border agencies. An ETA is linked to the passport number that is used in an ETA application and the holder must use the same passport to travel to Australia.

Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) are available to passport holders from a number of countries and regions.

Repeat visits

An ETA is not designed to allow repeated extended stays in Australia. If you want to spend long periods in Australia for tourism purposes you can consider applying for Visitor visa (subclass 600) or an alternative visa that suits your purposes.

Start an application

You should complete your application with as much information as possible at time of lodgement. Applications with missing information may take longer to finalise.

When completing the online application you must avoid copying and pasting bullet points, numbering, accents etc from formatted documents into the free text fields. Only use numbers 0 – 9 and letters A – Z (upper and lower case), dashes '-' and underscores '_'.

LocationRelated InformationLink
Applications must be made from outside AustraliaTo apply online for an ETA you will need:
  • a current valid passport for each traveller
  • a valid credit card (American Express, Diners Club, JCB, MasterCard, or Visa).
The ETA does not attract a visa application charge. However, there is an AUD20 service fee for each ETA applicant.
Note: Your travel agent or airline can also book your ETA.

All family members travelling to Australia with the ETA holder must have a visa or ETA.

A separate ETA application must be lodged for each family member, even where children are travelling on the same passport as a parent.
Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)


Before you ask for additional help about this visa, you should read all the available web content.

If you have read all of the available information, and you still require help, contact us with your enquiry.Our contact details are on the Help and Support​ page.