Maritime Crew

Start an application

To start an online application you will need to login to your ImmiAccount. If you do not have an ImmiAccount you will be prompted to create one.

You must add as much information as possible before you submit your application. Applications with missing information might take longer to finalise.

When completing your online application you must not copy and paste bullet points, numbering, accents etc from formatted documents into the free text fields. Only use numbers 0 – 9 and letters A – Z (upper and lower case), dashes '-' and underscores '_'.​​​​

Application type
Who is this for
Maritime Crew visa (subclass 988)

For foreign crew of non-military ships visiting Australia.

Partners (married or de facto) and dependent children who need to apply for Maritime Crew visas (if travelling on the same ship as the crew member) must lodge separate application forms.

Important: The Maritime Crew visa is not valid for air travel to Australia. The Maritime Crew visa permits entry to Australia by sea only, for the purpose of allowing crew to work on their ship.

Crew or their partner and dependent children who need to fly to Australia to join their ship will need to apply for a suitable visa such as the Transit visa (subclass 771) or a Visitor visa.

Start application

Track and manage your application

You will need to login to your ImmiAccount. If you do not have an account you will need to create one to access online visa services. You can use your account to:

  • continue a saved application​
  • attach documents
  • update passport details
  • change email and address details
  • check progress of your application.

Transaction Reference Number

A Transaction Reference Number (TRN) is a unique number assigned to each online application. You will need this to:

  • track and manage your application
  • identify your application when you communicate with us
  • check your visa entitlements.


Before you start your application you should read all the information about the Maritime Crew visa (subclass 988).

Help for ImmiAccount including Quick Reference Guides, FAQs and common error messages is available from the ImmiAccount page.

If you have read all of the available information, and you still require help, contact us with your enquiry.​​​

​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​