Start an application

To start an online application you will need to login to your ImmiAccount. If you do not have an ImmiAccount you will be prompted to create one.

You must add as much information as possible before you submit your application. Applications with missing information might take longer to finalise or might be refused.

When completing your online application you must not copy and paste bullet points, numbering, accents etc from formatted documents into the free text fields. Only use numbers 0 – 9 and letters A – Z (upper and lower case), dashes '-' and underscores '_'.​​​​

Student visa

For people applying for a Student visa (subclass 500).

Note: If you are in Australia, you must hold a temporary substantive visa, with the exception of the following visas:

  • 426 Domestic Worker (Temporary) – Diplomatic or Consular visa; or
  • 403 Temporary Work (International Relations) visa in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream; or
  • 995 Diplomatic visa granted on the basis of the holder being a diplomatic or consular representative or of a foreign country; or
  • 771 Transit visa;
  • 600 Visitor visa in the ‘Sponsored Family’ stream or in the ‘Approved Destination Status’ stream.

If you do not hold a temporary substantive visa, you must make the application within 28 days of your substantive visa ceasing.

Student Guardian visa

For people applying for a student Guardian visa (subclass 590) to provide care and support for a student visa holder.

Student visa (subsequent entrant)For people who want to join a family member in Australia who holds a Student visa.
Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa

For recent graduates of an Australian educational institution to stay and work in Australia for a period of time after their studies.

Note: When starting an application, you will be asked some questions to determine if you are eligible to continue.

To complete an application you might be required to attach supporting documentation. You will need to check the relevant visa document checklist on the visa subclass page.​​​​

Track and manage your application

You will need to login to your ImmiAccount. If you do not have an account you will need to create one to access online visa services. You can use your account to:

  • continue a saved application​
  • attach documents
  • update passport details
  • change email and address details
  • check progress of your application.

Transaction Reference Number

A Transaction Reference Number (TRN) is a unique number assigned to each online application. You will need this to:

  • track and manage your application
  • identify your application when you communicate with us
  • check your visa entitlements.


Before you start your application you should read all the information about Student visas.

Help for ImmiAccount including Quick Reference Guides, FAQs and common error messages is available from the ImmiAccount page.

If you have read all of the available information, and you still require help, contact us with your enquiry.​​​