Individuals and Travellers

Using a migration agent in Australia

This page will provide you with information to help you when using a migration agent.

Do I need to use an agent?

The department accepts all applications lodged, regardless of who lodges them. You are able to lodge any kind of visa application or asylum claim yourself and most applications can be lodged online.

However, if you do not feel confident in lodging an application, or if your case is complex, you may want to engage a registered migration agent to help you in your dealings with the department.

A migration agent cannot influence the outcome or fast-track the processing of your application or guarantee you a visa.

Your obligations

You are responsible for the accuracy of information and supporting documentation provided as part of your application, even if you use a registered migration agent. If you make non genuine claims or provide false documents, your visa may be cancelled.

Registration of agents in Australia

In Australia, migration agents must be registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA). If you choose to use a migration agent, you should use a registered migration agent.

Registration gives you protection and helps ensure people working as migration agents are aware of current laws and procedures and give correct advice.

How to find a registered migration agent

The Office of the MARA website has a list of all agents with a valid registration. Go to 'Find an Agent' and search by Personal Details (that is, Family Name, Given Name or Business Name) or Location Details (that is, Postcode, Suburb or Country).
See: The Register of Migration Agents – Search

The Office of the MARA website also provides information on:

  • How to choose a migration agent
  • What it costs to use an agent
  • What to expect from an agent
  • Making a complaint about an agent
  • What the Office of the MARA can and cannot do for you
  • Sanctioned agents
  • Lapsed agents

See: Office of the MARA

Notifying the department

If you have appointed an agent to act on your behalf, your agent will write to the department or use Form 956 to notify us.
See: Form 956 (295KB PDF file)

Your agent will ask you to sign and indicate at Q24 (Declaration by Client) on Form 956 that they have been appointed as your migration agent.

How the department deals with your agent

When you appoint an agent to act on your behalf, the department will do the following:

  • Discuss your application with the agent and seek further information from them.
  • Send any written communication about your application to your agent (that is, they will become your 'authorised recipient').
  • Regard any written communication sent to the agent as being received by you.

Withdrawing the appointment of your migration agent

If you withdraw or terminate the appointment of your migration agent, they should advise the department in writing or using Form 956.

If Form 956 is used to notify the department, your migration agent will ask you to sign and indicate at Q24 (Declaration by Client) that they are no longer acting on your behalf.

If you appoint a new migration agent, they should notify the department using Form 956.
See: Form 956 (295KB PDF file)