Individuals and Travellers

I want to extend my stay in Australia

If you are in Australia, you must hold a valid visa for the duration of your stay and comply with the conditions of your visa. You must depart Australia no later than on the day on which your visa expires.

If you want to stay in Australia longer than your current visa allows, you need to apply for another visa. The type of visa you can apply for will depend on the type of visa you currently have.

If you have a valid visa, you can find information about your visa options through Visa Finder.

If you have a 'No further stay' condition on your visa, you cannot apply for another visa while in Australia (except a protection visa or a temporary visa of a specified kind). You must depart Australia no later than on the date on which your visa expires.

My visa has expired

If you want to extend your stay in Australia and your visa has expired, you need to apply for a Bridging visa E (BVE) immediately in order to become lawful.

A BVE is a short-term, temporary visa that allows you to stay in Australia lawfully while you finalise your immigration matter or make arrangements to depart. Like any visa, there will be certain conditions attached to your bridging visa that you must follow. You can apply for this visa through the Bridging visa E – BVE webpage. 

If you are granted a BVE, you can look for further visa options through Visa Finder.

If you don’t have the right to remain in Australia, you must depart.

Checking my visa status

You can use the Department’s free online service: Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO), or download the myVEVO mobile app through your phone's app store, to check your visa details, status and conditions, as well as your visa grant letter.

For Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) holders, you can use Check an ETA to check when your ETA expires.

Getting help to apply for a visa

You can get help from a migration agent who has been registered by the Office of the Migration Agent Authority.

Agents can advise if your visa application is likely to succeed, but they do not make visa decisions and cannot influence outcomes. Only the Department makes decisions about visa applications.

I am an illegal maritime arrival

If you are an illegal maritime arrival (IMA) and currently hold a Temporary Protection visa (TPV) or a Safe Haven Enterprise visa (SHEV), you must apply for a subsequent TPV or SHEV before your current TPV or SHEV expires.

If you are an IMA and did not lodge a TPV/SHEV visa application before 1 October 2017, you are now barred from applying for any type of visa in Australia and must contact the Department to make arrangements to depart Australia.

More information is available on the Status Resolution Service webpage.

Further assistance

In most cases, you can resolve your immigration matter quickly and easily through this webpage. If you need additional information, go to the Status Resolution Service webpage.