Information for Visitors

We are building a new version of our website. We want to make sure our immigration and citizenship services are simple to use and meet your needs.

Please help us by visiting our test site (beta) and providing your feedback. We’d love to hear from you!

12 months work with one employer in northern Australia

This initiative will be available for work roles in the industries of agriculture, forestry and fishing, tourism and hospitality, mining and construction, and aged and disability care.

The area of northern Australia where the 12 months work can be performed is all of the Northern Territory and those parts of Western Australia and Queensland above the Tropic of Capricorn.

The initiative will come into effect towards the end of 2015. When in operation, participants will be able to apply for the employment extension using the Department's existing employment extension request process. There is no fee or cost associated with employment extension requests.

Second Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) initiative

This initiative will be available to participants from all of Australia's Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) arrangement partner countries. It will be open to applications once the necessary legislation comes into effect. More information about the timeframe for implementation will be available shortly.

Subclass 462 visa holders who undertake three months (88 days) work during their stay in either the agriculture or tourism and hospitality industries within northern Australia, will become eligible to apply for a second Work and Holiday visa. For this purpose, northern Australia includes all of the Northern Territory, and those parts of Western Australia and Queensland above the Tropic of Capricorn.

All participants will be required to pay a new Visa Application Charge when they apply for a second Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462).

Coming to Australia

If you want to visit Australia you will need a valid Australian visa.

Find information on applying for a visa, including:

  • Choosing the right visa
  • Application requirements
  • Your obligations while in Australia
  • Why you must comply with your visa conditions

See> Coming to Australia

Emergency numbers

When you visit Australia, it is important to know who to call if you have an emergency.

See > Emergency services

Going through the border

Information about going through the border, including:

  • Arriving in Australia
  • Departing Australia
  • Smartgate / ePassport

See > Going through the border

Bringing items into Australia

To find out what you can and can’t bring into Australia:

  • Use the web app Can I bring it back?
  • Download the quick guide to what you can and can’t bring home

See > Bringing items into Australia

Duty-free concessions

Duty free limits apply to some items purchased overseas. If you go over the duty free limit, you may need to pay a duty or tax on items when you come to Australia.

See > Duty-free concessions

Prohibited and restricted items

When visiting Australia, there are some items that you cannot bring into the country (prohibited items), and some items that you can only bring in if you have a permit (restricted items).

See > Prohibited and restricted imports

Tourist Refund Scheme

The Tourist Refund Scheme (TSR) allows you to claim a refund on the goods and services tax (GST) and wine equalisation tax (WET) paid on goods you buy in Australia.

All overseas visitors and Australian residents can claim a refund using the TRS when leaving Australia (except for operating air and sea crew).

See > Tourist Refund Scheme

Aviation and maritime crew

Information specific to Aviation and Maritime crew, including:

  • Aviation and maritime crew visas
  • Requirements for ship masters and agents
  • Sea travel

See > Aviation and maritime crew

Domestic travellers on international flights

Approved airlines may carry domestic passengers on domestic legs of international flights within Australia.

Download  Domestic travellers on international flights (PDF 556 KB)