Individuals and Travellers

Working Holiday Maker (WHM) program

The WHM program encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between arrangement countries by allowing young people to have an extended holiday supplemented by short-term employment.

The program consists of two visa subclasses, the Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa and the Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa.

Health and Safety while in Australia

Travelling or living in another country can be an exciting and rewarding, but can also carry potential risks. Australia is generally a safe destination for travellers with a low crime rate and some of the best health standards in the world.

Before travelling to Australia, as with any country, you should research about the country, including seeking advice from family and friends who may have already visited Australia. Australia is a huge country offering different experiences in the cities, the outback or the tropics.

Thousands of working holiday makers enjoy their stay in Australia without incident and go home with happy memories of their time here. Sometimes, as with travelling to foreign countries, things go wrong. You should prepare for your trip to ensure you have a safe and healthy stay in Australia.

Visit Australia's official tourism website for information when planning your trip.

Travel insurance

Travel insurance is not mandatory for working holiday makers in Australia, but it is advised. A policy covering you for theft, loss, accidents and medical problems before you leave home is strongly recommended, particularly if you plan on doing any adventure activities such as scuba diving, bushwalking or travelling in remote areas.


You must have sufficient funds (or access to funds) to support yourself in Australia particularly during the initial period of your stay while you are looking for work. The cost of living in Australia might be higher than in your home country and it might take some time for you to find work and start receiving an income.

Keep your passport safe

If your passport is lost or stolen while in Australia, your embassy or consulate can help you.

Personal safety

Although safety levels for visitors to Australia are generally good, you should be mindful of your personal security, including exercising common sense and look out for suspicious behaviour.

As with all countries there are areas, often in the major cities, which should be avoided or where extra care should be exercised. You should make sure you know the places to socialise and to venture out on your own. If you or someone you are travelling with is the victim of a crime while in Australia, this should be reported to the local police immediately. If you need further consular assistance, contact your embassy or consulate.More information is available from Victim Support Australia.

Personal responsibility

As well as protecting yourself against crime while in Australia, you have a responsibility to ensure your own behaviour would not bring you to the attention of the police. Most embassies' and consulates' websites in Australia provide information for their citizens travelling in Australia.