Accessing superannuation benefits for temporary residents

When you leave Australia, you could be eligible to have your superannuation paid to you. This is called the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP).


You can claim the DASP from your superannuation fund if:

  • you accumulated superannuation while working in Australia on a temporary visa
  • your visa is no longer in effect including Tourist visas (for example, it has expired or been cancelled)
  • you have left Australia
  • you have previously been a Temporary Resident in Australia
  • you are not an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or a permanent resident of Australia.

More information on superannuation eligibility is available from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) Website.

How to claim the Departing Australia Superannuation Payment

If you are eligible for the DASP, you can submit a claim to the Australian Taxation Office using the DASP online application system or by lodging a paper application.

You should only lodge a paper application if you are unable to lodge online.

Online applications

You can use the DASP online application system to claim super money from both ATO-held and super funds.

This system:

  • is free to use
  • verifies your immigration status with us electronically
  • confirms that your visa has ceased.

You can only submit a claim after you have left Australia and your visa has ceased to be in effect. However, you can commence and save your application while you are still in Australia, ready to submit after you leave Australia. You must re-enter exactly the same details, otherwise you will not be able to get back into the system to submit your saved application.

Where your claim is AUD 5000 or more, your super fund will require certified copies of your proof of identification documents. Check with your super fund to find out what they need so you can prepare the required documents before you leave Australia.

Paper applications

You can download a paper application from the ATO website.

You will need to return the form to your super fund. Do not send your Request for DASP — Temporary Resident to the Department of Home Affairs.

If you lodge a paper application, you might be asked to pay a fee to cover the cost of confirming your identity and immigration status.

You can request the certificate of immigration status using Form 1194 Certification of immigration status (290KB PDF). You will need to pay a fee of 55 AUD when you submit this application. If you have attempted to apply online via the ATO website and the visa information is incorrect, please include a cover note with your form with a brief description to enable us to investigate further.

We will email your certificate of immigration status to you and your nominated superannuation fund.

More information about claiming your super is available from the ATO website.

How to cancel your temporary visa

If you have left Australia and your temporary visa has not yet ceased, you can request for your visa to be cancelled. We will only cancel your visa for DASP claim purposes.

You can request cancellation of your visa online through ImmiAccount. There is no fee for this service.

To apply for Certification of Immigration status you need to complete Form 1194 Certification of immigration status (290KB PDF).

Visa cancellation consequences

You must be outside Australia when you request for your visa to be cancelled. If your visa is cancelled while you are in Australia, you will become an unlawful non-citizen and could be subject to detention and removal from Australia.

When your visa has been cancelled, you cannot use that visa to travel to Australia. If you want to return to Australia, you will have to apply for another visa and be assessed against the legislation and policy that apply at that time.

If your spouse, partner or children were granted a visa as a member of your family unit, their visa(s) must be cancelled at the same time as your visa is cancelled. Form 1194 asks you to provide their details as well as your own.

How to check your superannuation

You can find out whether you have superannuation in Australia using the DASP online application system.

More information

If you need more information about superannuation when leaving Australia, contact the ATO.

Phone: 13 10 20 in Australia
Phone: +61 2 6216 1111 outside Australia

For more information about certificates of immigration status or cancelling your temporary visa, contact us.