Travelling outside Australia while you hold a BVC

A BVC lets you temporarily stay in Australia. It will usually end when you leave Australia.

We recommend that you do not leave Australia until your substantive visa application is decided, because a BVC holder cannot be granted a Bridging visa B (BVB) which allows you to leave and return to Australia.

If you have an urgent need to travel outside Australia, you should contact your case officer to discuss your options.

If you leave Australia and you do not hold another visa that allows you to return, you will have to apply for and be granted a substantive visa before you can return to Australia. There is no guarantee that you would be granted a visa.