Applicant documents

Contributory Parent (subclass 173) visa holders

    If you hold a subclass 173 visa or your subclass 173 visa ended in the 28 days immediately before you apply for this visa, do not provide any documents with your application except:
  • if you want help with your application
  • if there have been changes to your circumstances since grant of your subclass 173 visa, provide documents to show these changes. Changes include, but are not limited to:
    • a family member is no longer a dependent
    • change to partner relationship
    • birth of a child
    • contact details
    • new passport
    • change of sponsor
    • your sponsor has died.

There is information about dependents you can include in your application.

Identity documents

    Provide one of the following:
  • a birth certificate showing the names of both parents
  • identification pages of a family book showing the names of both parents
  • identification pages of an identification document issued by the government
  • identification pages of a court-issued document that proves your identity
  • identification pages of a family census register.
    Also provide:
  • the pages of your current, valid passport showing your photo, personal details and passport issue and expiry dates
  • two recent passport photographs (45 mm x 35 mm):
    • the photograph should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background
    • the applicants name must be printed on the back of the photograph
  • a national identity card, if you have one
  • proof of change of name, if applicable.

Balance-of-family documents

    Provide documents that you meet the balance-of-family test, including:
  • proof your relationship with each of your children
  • proof your child or children live permanently in Australia
  • if applicable, proof that your child should not be included in the balance-of-family test, for example, their death certificate.

Documents about other relationships

If you are or have been married, widowed, divorced or permanently separated, provide proof such as marriage certificates, death certificates, divorce documents or separation documents. If you cannot provide these documents, provide a statutory declaration about the relationship.

If you are in a de facto relationship, provide proof that your relationship is genuine and continuing (for example, joint bank account statements, billing accounts in joint names or joint ownership of major assets).

Former Contributory Parent (Temporary) (subclass 173) visa holders

If your subclass 173 visa expired more than 28 days before you apply for this visa, provide documents that show that compassionate and compelling circumstances exist for you to be considered to still hold that visa.

Help with your application

You want to select someone to act on your behalf.

You want to select someone to receive correspondence on your behalf.

Additional documents

    You will need to provide additional documents when we ask you to, including:
  • an Assurance of support
  • police certificates
  • other documents.

You will not need to provide health documents as they will be sent to us electronically by your physician. Do not arrange health checks until we ask you to.